Shadow Box fence w/12' gate (sag?)

Old 08-01-08, 02:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I've got to build a 6' shadow box fence and leave a 12' opening for an easement for the power company. They said I could gate it but it needed to be 12'.

I need to attach 1x6's in a shadow box fashion on some sort of gate frame (alum.?). If I use 2x4 material for framing I know it will sag over time and be heavy on the hinges. Making it a dbl gate would help but it will still be heavy at a 6' height.

When ever I encounter sagging problems on small gates I always install adjustable Stanley (screendoor) turnbuckles, but I've never seen turnbuckles with a greater length of 2'.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-08, 02:53 PM

They make the hardware you need. you have just been in the wrong big box department or the wrong hardware store. It works well and you can readjust as things continue creeping/sagging.

Dick

Old 08-01-08, 03:58 PM
vett82ce,

Make the gates as a pair of 6' wide rather than one 12' wide. Even with the panel being 6' wide, it'll be putting a tremendous amount of stress on the post. I wouldn't use anything less than a 3" pipe for the posts, set them 3' deep, and have a reinforced concrete ribbon between them that's at least 2' wide. Pour the footings for the posts and the ribbon as a monolitic pour -- done all at the same time.

Steel frames for the gates -- use a couple of chain link gate frames without the chain link fabric. Thru bolt your wood frame to that. If you still need any sag kits, use 6" turn buckles and 3/16" cable.

Old 08-01-08, 03:59 PM
So I guess you're saying there are long turnbuckles? If so where are they?

Old 08-01-08, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by lefty View Post
vett82ce,

Make the gates as a pair of 6' wide rather than one 12' wide. Even with the panel being 6' wide, it'll be putting a tremendous amount of stress on the post. I wouldn't use anything less than a 3" pipe for the posts, set them 3' deep, and have a reinforced concrete ribbon between them that's at least 2' wide. Pour the footings for the posts and the ribbon as a monolitic pour -- done all at the same time.

Steel frames for the gates -- use a couple of chain link gate frames without the chain link fabric. Thru bolt your wood frame to that. If you still need any sag kits, use 6" turn buckles and 3/16" cable.
I'll have to do some research on where to find the cables and turnbuckles that go with them. seems like I've tried before at some local hardware stores and they did'nt know what I was looking for. I've seen them before on farm gates, so I know they exist. Maybe Tractor Supply has them.

Old 08-01-08, 04:24 PM
Ace, True Value, one of the big box stores, any lumberyard, Tractor Supply -- ANY place that sells hardware. It's just a turn buckle, a couple of eye bolts, some cable and a few clamps for the cable.

Old 08-01-08, 07:25 PM

As Lefty mentioned, make sure you have a substantial, weel anchored post for a 6' swinger. - It is not like a normal fence post or even a corner anchor.

You will have moving loads swinging as much as 180 degrees with no retraint or help from the rest of the fence. On top of that any tilt or deflection becomes mor critical on how well the swinging sections match and work together. If there is any place to do the base/foundation right, this is it. - Deep and wide.

Dick

Old 08-02-08, 07:09 AM
Thanks for all the good advice. Much appreciated.

Old 08-02-08, 02:18 PM
vett82ce,

That monolitic pour concrete ribbon between the posts that I'm suggesting is the WHOLE KEY to keep the weight of the gates from pulling the posts over.

This time I made mine 5" deep, 24" wide, and put 4 lengths of 1/2" rebar acrossed it and bent them down into each footing. (That was for two VINYL gates at 6' wide.) Probably a bit of overkill, but the wood gates that I used to have across that opening tipped one of my slump block columns because it's 24" square, 30" deep footing wasn't tied to the ribbon as a monolithic pour.

You are being given the opportunity to learn from one of my mistakes -- DON'T BLOW IT!!