circular saw to shorten fence?

Old 08-05-08, 08:49 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
circular saw to shorten fence?

Hi

I have a six foot, closed stockade fence installed. I want to cut it down to about 3 feet tall, (just over the second horizontal support) and take out every other vertical piece so it is more open. My plan would be to bevel the tops of the cuts, sand, prime, paint.

My question is: is there any reason, safety-wise, why I can't take a circular saw and use it to cut horizontally all the way across the standing fence? It's fairly weathered pine, splintery and unfinished. I am new to the circular saw and don't want to be the dumb--- who cut his arm off using it the wrong way.

Thanks in advance, this is an incredible resource.

-Joe

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-08, 06:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You might want to nail a board to the fence so the saw cuts a straight line. Rest the saw against it and cut. Use a fine tooth crosscut blade so it doesn't splinter too much.

Old 08-07-08, 06:31 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Joe ,

If you are planning on cutting the bevel into the top of the pickets, that alone would be a chore in itself.
You are also wanting to attempt the cut a straight line, with a circular saw in mid height ... That too, even for someone who is very experienced with a saw is not the easiest thing to do... For one thing , everytime you go to reposition your stance, your cut will have a very noticable jog in the cut. The cut being on top will leave it something you will always notice every time you take a look at your craftsmanship.

Ok ,
My suggestion.. Take the fence down. Mark the panels, cut with the panels laying down on a table, or even laying over the grass.
By doing this , you can cut off the bottom of the fence verses the top. This will leave you the original bevel tops so that you do not have to do all that extra work later.
Plus , by cutting off the bottom of the fence you would be cutting off all the older, rotted portion of the fence verses the top where it is just weathered.

Taking the fence down and then reinstalling the fence again may take some time, but the good part is that you will have straight cuts on top, a uniform look throughout, and the older rotted materials that were on the bottom in the trash.
All that , and at the same time , if you mess the cut up no one can really see it because it would be at the bottom.

I hope that suggestion works for you.