Using Post Spikes

Old 08-11-08, 05:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Using Post Spikes

How do the post spikes hold up with a 4ft tall wood fence?

Only reason i ask is because it seems easier to just bang some posts with spikes into the ground. But how would they hold up years later?

Would they be ok to use with a 4ft tall fence? that would be holding a dog in?

Thanks
Matt

Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-08, 06:33 PM
We tried them on 6x8(6ft high, 8ft long) prefab panels. They were adjustable swivel spikes(about 2ft long) with 3 bolts and swivel points for level/plumb adjustments. We banged them into the ground with cut scrap 4x4's and a sledge hammer and used an impact gun to tighten the 3 bolts on each of them until the metal base actually began to fold around the nut. Within a month the entire fence was a disaster. Half of the spikes had movement in the ground, and all of the bolts I had tightened with an impact had loosened from weight and weather. The entire fence could be shaken from one end to another with light hand movement. We had to do a complete tear down, waste money on the now too short 6ft posts, spikes, our time, not to mention pissed off neighbors on both sides of the house. Even with a 4ft fence I wouldn't do it, not after my experience. Don't waste your time or money on these gimmicky things. I will never use them again .... maybe use one for a mailbox, thats about it. They simply do not go deep enough into the ground and cannot support the weight. Some people have had success with them for decks, but I'm not going to try that either.

Old 08-11-08, 06:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yep, they are only good for "For Sale" signs used by realtors.

Old 08-11-08, 07:11 PM
When I go to a customers house to rip out a fence and install new... It is always a pleasure to find fence spikes being what I need to pull out.
Seriously, they are useless in regards to fencing. At best, like "n0c7" & "HotinOKC" state, they are only good for mail boxes and or posts for signs.. that is about it.

However, I have , more than a few times ripped out a fence where there was the use of one, maybe two fence spikes in the line and it did not pose a serious problem. When found they were used to avoid digging through a root cluster of a rather large tree. If done just once or twice where the rest of the fence posts were deep down and tamped correctly I would find it acceptable.
I would never install it that way myself, but I have seen it done.
But please do not confuse my accepting one or two spikes for using them for an entire fence line.
At the same time, I would never , ever consider advising their use on a gate post.

Good luck !

Greg~