Fencing around a storm drain

Old 09-09-08, 08:57 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fencing around a storm drain

Let me see if I can describe my situation and see if anyone can offer suggestions... As an engineer, I have an idea but maybe it's crazy...

I've built my fence, and I've been tasked by my homeowner's situation with making it look more "professional".

I think I know what to do for the most part, it's basicly a solid board wood fence style with a cap rail, I had constructed it originally following the contour of the land along the top, the complaint is that it looks uneven and from north to south, the property line slopes downhill a few inches every 6 feet (6 foot post spacing) then goes down a little more than a foot per 6 feet over about 12 feet, then it's level for the last 6 feet. By stepping the top rail, it looks a lot better.

That's not the problem though... The problem is that one post which is right next to the bottom corner is out of line with the others. This was necessary because right where the post needs to be, there lies the concrete for the storm drain. I'm pretty sure I don't want to bust through any of that concrete, but it means I need to know what the best way to handle it is.

Every option I can think of seems to have its drawbacks... Do I maintain the fence in a straight line and keep the step where the post is now, but move the post "up-hill" so the post is not at the same point the step is? Or would it look better to step the fence in to my yard further so it goes around the drain?

I'm assuming I move the fence up-hill, but I'd like to keep the step spacing the same so it looks similar on both sides of the yard and I don't have a short step next to a long step... I'm also assuming if I do this, I'll want to add diagonal bracing to keep the longer section from sagging where the step in the middle might mean it's weaker.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-08, 09:44 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Anchor the post to the concrete. Shorten it if necessary.

Old 09-11-08, 09:56 AM
Thanks, that is probably the kind of obvious solution I've overlooked and sounds like just what I need to do!

Old 09-11-08, 06:02 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Good luck with it.
----------------------

Old 09-13-08, 06:50 AM
Please do not damage your drain

WillK ,

I am sorry, my original post did not stick. Ok , I will try again.. Hopefully this gets through to you before you drill into your concrete storm drain.
If this is a utility storm drain, meaning it belonging to the town, city, or even community developement, DO NOT TOUCH IT!
Do not attempt to drill into the cement under any circumstances if you do not own the storm drain. Doing so may result in collapsing the drain and your being responsible for all the repairs that follow. And trust me , when people beging getting water into their basements because the storm drain collapsed, there would be no way it will be overlooked that your fence was installed just recently.

Ok , what to do... As I understand, your fence line is somewhat staggared ... then you come to the bottom corner and that is where the drain pipe casement is...

If this a corner where you would make a 90 degree turn, I would suggest stopping before the corner. if your sections are 6 foot each, I would suggest stepping back off the corner 2'-6" ... Then in the other direction step back another 2'-6" ... thus utilizing only one section for the corner...( No waste)
Now, miter the corner section into the two end posts...
In that corner you can place a small bush, plant, planter or whatever ... And doing so will dramatically improve the look of your front and rear yards. What is created is a natural look verses your typical hard corner.
I have installed many fences with this as an option, regardless of running into issues underground... and every time I do this people are very satisfied with the end result.
This will work, and this will look great when you are done.

If you do not understand what I am directing , and need any further direction please feel free to email me , and I would be happy to help.

Good luck,.

Greg`