Chain link fence painting tips needed

Old 09-15-08, 11:27 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Chain link fence painting tips needed

A city inspector told me that I needed to paint the chain link fence of a rental property, since it is rusty. It is 4 ft. high and about 120 ft. long.

Option 1. remove the fence, paint the posts, and install a new one.
Option 2. paint the fence and posts.
Option 3. remove the fence and posts.

If Option 1 and 2 are not that expensive, I will not go with option 3.

Can someone share what you did and the cost?

If I go with Option 2, what paint should I use and how to apply the paint? With this size, how long does it take?

Thanks very much.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-08, 02:35 PM
I would surely take option one.

Strip the old fencing wire off the old posts.

Paint the posts..

Reattach new chain link onto the newly painted posts... And top rail of course.

Now here's a hint.

If you want to , and this is good... If you want, this is a perfect time to create your own color system at a fraction of the cost .

If you want to have a black system, which looks most classy I would paint the posts and the top rail, and all the fittings black.
Go out and purchase black vinyl coated wire.

It will look awesome.

This could also be done in white, brown, green... whatever color you wish for the most part.
But black always looks best.

For sure, Use rustoleum paint... buy spray for those hard to get to spots and use rustoleum brush paint for everything else.

do not settle for cheap spray paint. it costs more in the end .

Good luck

Greg

Old 09-15-08, 04:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
Painting is probably the cheapest fix. It will require a solvent based primer. Take a wire brush and give it a once over. It is easiest if you have a helper and each of you use a roller [1 on each side of the fence] use cardboard to both keep the paint off of the ground and to keep the dirt/grass out of the paint. Top coat can either be an oil base enamel or aluminum paint.

Old 09-15-08, 04:16 PM
Since the fencing is rusted,if you elect to paint the solvent primer is a must but it should also be a primer for rusted metal not just any exterior primer.If you do not prime,the rust will emerge from under your top coat fairly quickly.

Rustoleum was mentioned in a previous post.This is a brand name for a whole line of paints.In primers you would want Rustoleum's Rusty Metal Primer only then top coat with any Rustoleum or other brand of solvent/oil based enamel color.

To me,spraying seems too wasteful for chain link fencing.Plus I think brushing/rolling would give you a far thicker coat.