Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Fences, Posts, Railings and Gates
Reload this Page >

Pool Gate used to have self-closeing tension, not anymore :(

Old 09-17-08, 08:39 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Our gates at the pool used to close themselves if left open. Now they do not. I tried tightening the nut/screw on the side that needed an allen wrench and it improved a little, 2 out of the 3 gates close, although slowly. I am wondering if there is another part to this I'm not doing, one of the gates' screws seemed stripped, I don't know if I did this without doing the "missing step" I'm hoping is out there.

Here is a pic

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-08, 05:53 PM
Temporarily Suspended
If those hinges lost their pull, go to the hardware store and buy one of those spring kits. They are cheap and easy to install.

Old 09-23-08, 12:08 AM
Taking a quick look at that fence it seems you have an Aluminum line... perhaps Jerrith? Seeing the phillips screw heads leads me to believe the fence is more than 5 yrs old.. seeing the fade on the hinge leaves me to believe the fence is closer to 14 yrs old.. ahhhh.. those hinges are good, but they do not last forever. Sometimes they do get warn out. The springs can be adjusted, but over time they are much harder to adjust and stick to being adjusted.
Getting a different type of self closing spring may work.. I do not know.. I have never attempted that routine before. Most people would not stand for that type of repair if I came to their home.
I have done a preliminary search to help you out.. going to a neighborhood fence distributor may lead you in the same basic direction, but here is a link on line to learn more about your fencing and its liabilities. This is the link for your hinges, new if you wanted to purchase them. Hoover is a distributor of fencing supplies... you could always call Jerrith direct yourself.

http://www.hooverfence.com/ornamenta...are/nw093a.htm

Good luck

Old 09-30-08, 10:46 AM
Thanks alot for all the responses. This is EXACTLY what I need, it is IDENTICAL. You just saved the day (and maybe my job ).

I am going to give this to the property manager and get her to order these ASAP. Once again, thanks - to all respondants.

Originally Posted by GregsFence View Post
Taking a quick look at that fence it seems you have an Aluminum line... perhaps Jerrith? Seeing the phillips screw heads leads me to believe the fence is more than 5 yrs old.. seeing the fade on the hinge leaves me to believe the fence is closer to 14 yrs old.. ahhhh.. those hinges are good, but they do not last forever. Sometimes they do get warn out. The springs can be adjusted, but over time they are much harder to adjust and stick to being adjusted.
Getting a different type of self closing spring may work.. I do not know.. I have never attempted that routine before. Most people would not stand for that type of repair if I came to their home.
I have done a preliminary search to help you out.. going to a neighborhood fence distributor may lead you in the same basic direction, but here is a link on line to learn more about your fencing and its liabilities. This is the link for your hinges, new if you wanted to purchase them. Hoover is a distributor of fencing supplies... you could always call Jerrith direct yourself.

http://www.hooverfence.com/ornamenta...are/nw093a.htm

Good luck