Sealing/Staining Cedar Fence

Old 10-18-08, 09:26 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sealing/Staining Cedar Fence

I need some help. We had a board-on-board 6 ft cedar fence installed at the end of August. I was advised by the fence company to wait a couple months before sealing/staining. I dislike the grayed look that happens with untreated cedar. Well, my couple months is "up" but I'm afraid our temperatures in northeast Wisconsin have gotten too cool for me to effectively do this job. We have had some mornings where we've gotten frost. Our highs aren't making it out of the 50's any more & nights are dropping into the 30's & 40's. Can I still take care of this yet this fall & have it be effective or do I now need to wait until spring & will likely face having to properly clean the fence first?

Also, what product do you recommend? How would you apply? There is one portion of the fence that is relatively close to a neighboring house. I'm guessing I'll either have to carefully use a sprayer or brush it since the board-on-board will make it difficult to use a roller.

Thanks for any advice you might have.

--Pam

Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-08, 12:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
Welcome to the forums Pam!

A lot depends on what coating type you decide to use. Obviously water based coatings are very sensitive to colder temps. Oil base can withstand a little cold although it will slow down the drying time.

I would recomend going to your local paint store [not a big box paint dept] and talk to them. They will know which of their coatings will give the look and protection you want and if it would be advisable to apply at this time of year. They should be able to tell you what options you have for applying a coating now - which in turn should help you decide when to apply a coating.

Old 10-18-08, 12:35 PM
Thanks for your input, marksr. I will try to get to a local place & see what they have to say.

Old 10-25-08, 06:54 AM
Sealing/Staining Cedar Fences

Many DIY forget that weathered cedar fences need to be cleaned prior to applying any sealing or stain products. The best way is to use a power washer to properly clean your cedar fence before sealing or staining.

Proper cleaning will insure that the seal or stain applied will adhere properly and last a long time.

Cesar960

Old 10-25-08, 07:07 PM
That's one of the reasons I was hoping to get the sealing/staining done before winter vs. after. Because it's only 2 months old, it's not weathered at all but I'm not sure what it'll look like after winter up here. But thanks for the reminder.

-Pam