Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Fences, Posts, Railings and Gates
Reload this Page >

I need some help building/fastening a small gate

Old 10-26-08, 01:19 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

We just bought out first home, and the entire backyard is surrounded by a really nice redwood deck, blocking off access to the streets (It's a corner lot). There is one small area that is accessible right off the street, near our driveway. This little walkway up (the house is on a little hill) past the garage and into our backyard is only about 3'-4' wide. I would like to build a gate here to close it off. The left side of the walkway is the house and the right side is a concrete/plaster "wall".....Anyways, I have no idea how I would attach the gate, or hinges rather, to the concrete or plaster. I would also like to put some type f lock on it as well....Any advice or suggestions are MUCH appreciated. I have a couple weeks before the move in date, but that's my #1 priority whan I get in...Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-08, 07:18 PM
it is best to fasten gates to posts not houses, you would be wise to install a new post on each side of where you want your gate installed. that is less likely to damage the house and easier to fasten to. most gate latches come with lock openings already available.

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies

Old 10-26-08, 08:07 PM
Understood, but if the actual opening is only 3'-4' wide.....???

Old 10-26-08, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by tenover View Post
Understood, but if the actual opening is only 3'-4' wide.....???
you could place the posts behind the gate to keep the opening as wide as possible, most walk in gates are only 3 ft wide so if the opening is 4 ft you will need something to fill that gap anyway.
what material is the house wall? that will affect any fastning you do to it.

the plaster wall would depend on what is supporting the plaster, if it is foam as a lot of new construction is you will not be able to hang any thing from it.

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies

Old 10-26-08, 09:54 PM
Are you planning to install a wood gate?

If so, you can buy a gate made up to size, or you can cut the gate material needed out of a full section of whatever style material you choose.
To build a gate, depending on the style material you would set the posts higher than your actual gate . Buy custom posts as to distinguish the gate opening .
Being you have a deck close by, you may even consider installing an arbor in this area.. it would look excellent with the wood decking. Plus it would bring the driveway,rear yard and entrance way all together.
as for width... that is easy to change. Gates come when prefab, are designed for 36",42" and 48" openings. Higher than that they fall into a double drive gate.

You can do a simple search on line for all sorts of latches. Most are lockable with either a key, or your own padlock.

Good luck... and Congrats on the new home.

Greg~