gaps in my privacy fence

Old 10-26-08, 05:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
gaps in my privacy fence

I have about 120 ft of 6ft treated privacy fence. well, i thought it was private,but within the last year i can see about 1/4 thru the slats. what can i fill the gaps with so i can have my privacy back? could i use the foam stuff that you spray? or maybe caulk? any help would be great

Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-08, 06:08 PM
wood shrinks and swells, so you will always have some gaps coming and going in your fence, totally blocking the gaps will significantly increase the wind load on a fence also, that being said if you just have to close the gaps either nailing a thin slat on the inside or useing great stuff foam will probably be your best best.

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies

Old 10-26-08, 10:14 PM
Planting bushes is your go green option

I would not use any form or foam or caulk to fill those gaps.

You purchased a pressure treated fence that was obviously still wet wood. After it was installed it then dried out . And it shrank.
Kiln dried wood would have been a better selection of wood that would have already dried and been ready for stain, or ready to leave as is ,It would have gone years without it shrinking. It, much like a prewashed jean is always the better way to go.
Your contractor either not giving you that opportunity or their not having it as an option has left you open to their installing a wet soaked pressure treated fence. This happens... quite frequently too . I do not install pressure treated fencing for this as well as a few other reasons.
120 feet is a lot of covering up with adding slats overlapping your pickets. Still , adding caulk sounds like a bad idea.

Adding some bushes or greenery is suggested . It would give you all the privacy you need, plus the fence in the backdrop will give you all the security as well.

Good luck...

Greg~

Old 10-27-08, 04:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
I've not installed many fences but have stained miles of them

I agree any type of filler between the slats would be a BAD idea. Sooner or later the filler will fall out, even worse is when it will pooch out giving an unsightly look.

Adding slats would probably be best although you can figure on some maintinence as they may come loose from time to time. I like shrubbery - it always enhances the property. Thought should go into the planting because bushes that lay up against the wood will promote coating failure and eventually wood rot. It is best to have some air circulation behing the plants.

Old 11-27-08, 03:49 AM
Jim_il

Gee, that of what you just said sounds familiar... Is it that we both think alike ?