Need help w/double-swinging gate

Old 12-19-08, 09:55 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need help w/double-swinging gate

We've installed a double-swinging gate. One post is good, one post has settled, leaving them a fraction off, but the main problem is where they close, there's nothing to stabilize them when closed. These are over grass so I can't put a wheel. It's just that the closure won't stay connected because they pull either forward or backward. Anybody help?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-08, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator
If you have a stop board or a latch to allow one side to lock to the other, you need to put in a rod on one gate that goes into a pipe in the ground. Any hardware store or home center should have what you need.

Old 12-19-08, 01:34 PM
Let me guess, the one post that "is good" is probably attached to some solid, like the house or a fairly long run of fence parallel with the gates. The post that has "settled" (leaned over?) is probably the corner post of a fence perpendicular to the gates.

The one post that is leaning will continue to keep leaning over even more due to the weight of the gate and nothing to counteract it.

The problem is curable, and the cure will give you a way to secure both gates when they are closed. A continuous concrete ribbon about 2' wide and 4" to 6" deep that is tied into the footing of each post. It'll mean resetting the posts in new footings, but it will eliminate the lean problem. Once the ribbon is in place, mount a cane bolt on at least one (or both) of the gate panels and drill a hole an inch or so into the conctete for the cane bolt to pin into.

Old 12-19-08, 02:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
gate fix

Mount a rod on the gate and drive a pipe in the ground.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 12-22-08 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Removed link. No blogging or advertising.
Old 12-19-08, 04:00 PM
robertrobillard and Gunguy45,

Sure, curing the problem of the 2 gate panels not staying aligned and being able to latch them is easy. I just read deeper into dancing_zert's post and saw the leaning post being a bigger problem.

That post is leaning at some angle right now. but in 3 or 6 months, it'll be leaning even farther. (I know -- I had to deal with one several years back in my own back yard!)

Old 12-19-08, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator
No prob lefty...I didn't have the knowlege to go there. I'm a simple question, simple answer guy...lol. Gotta keep people coming back, right?

Old 12-19-08, 04:19 PM
Gunguy --

Not a problem there.

I didn't want either the knowledge or the EXPERIENCE of dealing with a leaning post. But the experience gave me the knowledge, and I now know how to prevent it from being a problem for me ever again.

Old 12-20-08, 06:22 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Gate Post

Here is another way to brace a gate post. I have used this method for years and it works very well if you have a post next to the gate post to attach the horizontal brace and the brace wire(or threaded rod):

Old 12-20-08, 09:49 PM
Wirepuller38, et.al. --

Let's keep in mind that we haven't heard back from dancing_zert (the original poster) yet, so we don't know exactly what his fence and gate configuration is. dancing_zert said his gate post had "settled". I'm the one who threw it out there thinking he meant it had "leaned". But it could well be that the post had settled (sunk straight down) if there was loose dirt in the bottom of the hole when the post was installed.

If and when dancing_zert posts back and tells us EXACTLY what his fence problem is (is the post leaning, or is it settling??), we'll address it.

Wirepuller38, you diagonal brace works well (and is certainly less expensive than the concrete ribbon I suggested), but of course it's only useful when there is a solid fence panel next to the gate to install it in, as shown in your diagram. No argument there from me -- I've used that setup too, and it works well.

Old 12-21-08, 02:05 PM
Double-swinging gate

Thanks for all the messages, guys. The post is settling and is not very stable. It has been redone twice. It looks like the other one is starting now. This is Florida and the water table is HIGH! Lefty, I didn't understand the concrete ribbon. I liked the idea of the stabilizer post, but don't have the space. I will probably put down a concrete block in the center and then the metal rod to keep that particular gate from pulling further on the looser post. Anyone else dealt with the squishy ground? Thanks!

Old 12-21-08, 04:55 PM
dancing_zert,

The "concrete ribbon" is simply a continuos strip of concrete about 2 ft. wide across the gate opening which extends past both posts so that it captures them too. A 2 ft. wide sidewalk if you will, that extends a foot past each post. It is best to do that and the post footings all at the same time so that all of the concrete is monolithic. put the posts into their footings, pour a little concrete around the base of each to stabilize them, then pour the ribbon across the opening. If you put 2 or 3 lag bolts into different sides of the part of each post that is in the footing, leaving the bolts stick out 3" or 4", they wont' (CAN'T) settle once the concrete has cured, regardless of how squishy the soil becomes.