How can I make my gate squeak again?

Old 01-04-09, 07:09 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How can I make my gate squeak again?

Yes, this is for real.
I have a very heavy wrought iron fence leading into a courtyard. It had a wonderful squeak that let me know whenever it was being opened. I live alone, and I really liked that there was always the little warning as anyone came into the courtyard.
Last week a dear and wonderful painter proudly "fixed" my squeaky gate. Now it opens without a sound!
Is there anyway to get the squeak back???
Thanks!
Katy

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-09, 11:08 AM
Getting the squeak back into your fencing

Wow, this is a request you do not read all that often... Although I consider myself a pretty good person to ask fencing questions, this answer may not be the best, but it would be my best answer.

Ok , assuming you have exactly what you say you have.. a wrought iron fence as opposed to having an Aluminum fence made to look like wrought iron... there being a difference in the hinges used.

If it is aluminum, your hinges may contain plastics... if they squeaked, and now do not the painter may have just applied a lubricant of some sort. In one sense it works, but it would only be a temporary fix .. temporary may last anywhere from a month to a year.. certainly not what you want to hear.

To rid your hinge from the lubricant, I would suggest the use of ordinary soap and water.. warmer water if possible. The warm water will help loosen the lubricant while the soap (dawn dish soap would work best) will help break down the properties of the lubricant... the fix may take a day or so with the weather helping the re rusting process.

If the fence is truly an IRON fence it would probably have a typical male female hook and post like hinge. Or at the very least the hinge would be just made of metal and no plastics.

If this is the case the painter more than likely used that same lubricant, but ridding your hinge of the lubricant may be easier and faster with the use of heat. You could try the soap and water and that may work just fine for you.. but If there are no plastics in the hinge I would apply a propane torch to the area for a few seconds.... burn off the lubricant , then apply the soapy warm water to flush the area more.. I believe that once the area is heated, the lubricants will be burned off, the metal would be exposed to the elements of moisture and the fence may begin to rust.. rust is good if you want squeaky gates.. metal on metal is where the squeak comes from .. the lubricant is what separates the two metals adding that wee bit of slide to ease the gate's movement .

But hey , this one is just an opinion like fix... As I hope it works, there is no guarantee as this was one of my first. lol..

Either way , Happy New Year !

Old 01-04-09, 06:45 PM
Thanks so much!
The gate is iron; it has welded-in "eyes" which line up with eyes that were inserted into the brick columns as they were built. Then there is an iron rod that holds the eyes in line.
Your heat suggestion sounds very smart! I would never have thought of it. I'll give it a try! (Sorry to disappoint all the handy real men, but I'll be using my trusty kitchen torch...the one I use for creme brulee!)
Again, thank you very much for your answer.
Hope you have a wonderful new year!
Katy

Old 01-04-09, 07:13 PM
how about hanging some bells on the gate ?

Old 01-05-09, 09:08 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Hinges

Be careful. Heating the hinges could cause them to loosen in the mortar when they are heated and then cool back to normal temperature.

Old 01-05-09, 10:06 AM
A solvent cleaner should remove lubricant.

Old 01-05-09, 10:31 AM
Heating the hinge

In regards to heating the hinge, I did suggest heating the hinge for just a few seconds.. I was not suggesting that the Dyi'r should heat the hinge to the point where it began to make the iron turn red hot, thus warming up the ajoining parts of the gate or fencing.
Basically the idea of heating the hinge with the torch was to use the torch in a fashion of indirect heat, on and off until the hinge was heated enough to burn off the petroleum within the lubricant .

I hope this helps clarify my intentions of such a repair.

Greg~