Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Fences, Posts, Railings and Gates
Reload this Page >

In Desperate Need of Help with a Steel Fence Problem

Old 01-26-09, 09:44 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

We are in need of advice regarding a problem with a steel fence.

It is an existing steel fence that is "stepped" on a sloping hill.
In some areas there are 5 to 6 inch gaps between the ground and the metal spokes. Is there anyway to add extend the spokes to the ground?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-09, 06:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Aside from having someone manufacture and weld the same designed spokes on the bottom of the frame that exist in the main body, you may consider cutting a profile of wood (5/4 x 6) to match the slope and insert it under the gap, fastening it with screws through pre drilled holes in your frame.

Old 01-30-09, 06:33 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sometimes pictures are worth a thousand words...

In that , how many stepped sections need work?
If your steel fence has brackets ajoining the rails to the posts I would think that an easier repair would be to take out the short sections and replace them with taller sections, while cutting off the bottom to go with the slope while at the same time maintaining your top with all the other sections in the fence line. This can be done, but it is a lot of work and very costly.

You can also lower the existing sections while cutting the slope into the bottom of the section keeping the top level. But this is also difficult to do while maintaining a nice flowing of heights on the top of the sections.
Plus, you may have to raise the bottom rail on the fence sections... that is of course if the pickets are not tack welded to the bottom rail.

While those repairs would fix your problem, they are a lot of work with no real return. I have to include a different type of repair, that is not really as much a repair as it is an improvement to.
I would certainly say that the quickest, easiest , and perhaps the most affordable fix to this is altering your landscaping to accomodate your slope.
Many times customers face this and the option of railroad ties, timbers and or even just tree trunks have been used to make those gaps dissapear.
If you choose , you can always build level flower beds nearest the fence line... Caring for the flowers could be as easy as planting bulbs that just sort of pop up on their own year after year. The bottom of the fence would be hidden, and the fence itself would look amazing with all the colorful flowers and greenery around it and of course your problem would be solved.
I am sure your local book store could give you hundreds of ideas on landscape boxes and borders. I know I have many books here that I have used throughout the years.
Keep in mind that even if you are not the green thumb type of person you can always put the boxes in and use a stone base rather than soil...

By the way , this is a very common problem. Being the slope is a landscaping problem people usually go with the landscaping fix.
Where I live , it is a little on the mountainous side... here no matter what people have boulders somewhere on their property.. some have it in those gaps, some have it just laying on the front lawn as an accent piece.

Good luck

Greg