Confused about fencing

Old 04-03-09, 11:56 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Confused about fencing

We are currently reviewing bids to replace a 25 year old fence at our home. We would like a 6' foot privacy fence. The bids have been for both western red cedar and for green treated pine. The range for the bids are $9600.00 to $7200.00. This includes tearing down and removing about 240' of old fence.

My question is this, which type of fence is going to last longer and need the least amount of maintenance. We live in Minnesota and the fence is necessary because of a pool.

Of course each company is saying theirs is the best. This is causing my wife and I frustration. We would obviously like to get the best vaule, but we don't want to be replacing the fence every 10 years.

If anyone could explain the differences and values of each I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
Jeff

Old 04-03-09, 06:05 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Lunchmoney;

Western Red Cedar is a beautiful wood to have as a fence. It being Cedar alone whether red or white you have a better choice because of its NATURAL resistance to insects.
If you have not been able to view red cedar it has a very distinctive grain with just as the name says a reddish tinge. I believe it to be one of the finest woods to use for fencing and or decking.

As for the pressure treated pine.... It is not one of my favorite lines of fencing to install. I say this because for one thing the pressure treating alone tends to leave the fence having somewhat of a green tinge to it. It is not usually a constant color as some areas of the wood would soak the treatment in where others may actually show the point of refusal. Most pressure treated wood is treated to the point of refusal. This simply meaning when the wood can no longer soak up the chemical that is when they stop applying it.

Working with treated wood when it is wet is not very good either. It has somewhat of a slimy or oily feeling to it. As for the cutting of the wood, it is usually not considered to be a healthy thing to breathe in. Of course you have estimates to have it installed and these two factors should not deter you much, but at the same time for me as an installer I consider giving my opinions based on what I know. I will let you decide from all that is commented on the two products.

The red cedar will have a pleasant scent for the first few weeks into months. I am not saying that you will walk out into your yard and smell cedar before roses, but for sure there will be times when the morning dew will let the scent pass over your deck. For most including myself the scent of cedar is almost a calming or more or less a pleasant one. I personally love to cut the wood while working with it.

The pressure treated pine , well , I also like the smell of pine cut but the pressure treating just sort of takes away from the enjoyment of picking up the scent of the wood. Considering the scent is not healthy to breathe in, I guess you can imagine what I am trying to say.

In regards to their potential life spans.

Red or white cedar will give you between 15 and 25 years depending on their installation and the conditions of their placement.
Pressure treated pine will give you between 7 and 15 years based upon those same conditions and or the way it was installed.

In regards to maintenance... That is completely up to you. You can have it installed and never touch it in any way shape or form. Or you may decide to have it stained a color or something of that nature.
If you were planning to stain it a color, I would not bother with choosing the red cedar. Even though I love the cedar choice the idea of encapsulating all that beautiful color and scent is almost a complete waste.
Basically I would think that if you thought to purchase the red cedar you would just leave it natural . After a few months it will become weathered... it will begin to turn a light to silvery gray. It , because of it being cedar will look much nicer when weathered than the pressure treated pine.
When pressure treated pine is weathered it also turns to a gray color. But pine does not have a warm silver appearance... it is much harder , darker, and or it may have inconsistencies in its color throughout the fence line.
Most times I can see the difference in a 10 year old cedar fence as opposed to a 10 year old pressure treated pine fence. Their similar in color, but certainly if you are looking for good looks and quality, Cedar wins hands down.

As for the price of one verses the other.. Well , the cedar costs more . And in my opinion it is the better product over pine.
How much the job should cost is not something I can say. It is not even something that I should say. I consider the price to be a reflection on all that goes into a fence and its installation, as well as the removal of whatever fence is there.
For the price I think you should continue to investigate with recieving 3 estimates. After you have 3 contractors come to your home you would be well informed in all the differences between the two and you should have a basic price guide on what you should pay .
The rest of your choice after you choose which wood is which contractor you feel most comfortable with.

Of course this information is based upon my own history with removing one fence over the other. Most times I remove a fence for a customer I ask them how long ago they had it installed. I have somewhat of my own chart when it comes to the differences between wood fences and their life spans, pro's , con's etc...

All that of which I am giving an opinion on is based upon the use of a 3/4" picket. True 2"x 3" back rails and or better than that .
Before actually signing the job over to one contractor verses the other my suggestion would be to ask them for a sample of one wood verses the other. Or perhaps you can go and visit their displays if they in fact have a store front .
If not, I would suggest you google pressure treated pine.
Then google Western red cedar. I am sure you will see a difference in the pictures alone.

I hope my opinions on the two help you somewhat.

Good luck with your choice.

Gregs Fence~

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: