Need advice on installing fence.

Old 04-08-09, 06:20 AM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need advice on installing fence.

I currently have a chain link fence around my property which is about 400 linear feet. I would like to install a 6' wood privacy fence and I was thinking i could just use the 6' metal chain link posts that are already installed (10 feet apart).

Any thoughts on this? One concern I have is the posts are 1-7/8" in diameter. Is this too small and will they bend?

Any advice would be great.

Last edited by VinVivi; 04-08-09 at 08:06 AM.
Old 04-08-09, 08:05 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
How can you use posts that are 10' apart when the new sections of fence are only 8' long? The posts have to be where the sections of fence meet.
Even if they were 8' apart, they aren't big enough to attach the sections.

Old 04-09-09, 02:00 PM
V
I'm not buying a prefab fence. I was planning on getting 10' pressure treated 2X4's for the railings.

Old 04-09-09, 02:55 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Yes, it can be done.

If you will build the fence yourself you can attach a wood fence to those posts on 10' spacings.

To attach the fence rails you would need to go out and purchase tension bands for a chain link fence, 1- 1/2" galvanized lag bolts and galvanized nails that would be used in addition to the tension bands.

The tension bands would be put on the posts with the flat side of the band facing the backrail of the wood sections. You would be using one band for each rail. A total of 6 per section.
Do not omit the middle rail as the more bands the less the fence will have a chance of sliding down on the posts, thus changing the heights of the fence in the fence line.
Because you have a chainlink fence assuming you have a top rail on that fence. If that top rail is about the same height as any one of the back rails of the wood fence I would suggest your purchasing 1 3?8" tension bands as well. Again , with the flat side of the band facing the sections back rail.

The lag bolts should be no more than a 5/16 diameter so that it can be put in the hole and the lag can be driven through the band and into the back of the fence.

This is a very common design.
Granted, using an older chain link fence is not usually part of the typical design, But I have installed a fence more than once this way.

And yes, a 1 7/8" post, or as I refer to them a 2" diameter post is strong enough to hold up a wood fence.

Good luck, and come back for more on this topic if you still need help..

GregsFence ~

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: