Installing Park Fence Posts!

Old 04-17-09, 12:45 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Installing Park Fence Posts!

So I'm planning a community service project that will take place at a park. The trail I'm working on is hard-packed soil, and the fences I will be replacing are on the side of a cliff.

There is some space to work on the posts, it's not like right on the edge of the cliff. And the kind of posts i'm talking about are somewhere around 1ft. in diameter, about 5ft. tall (out of ground) and they will have two railings about 10ft. in length that will connect from fence post to fence post.

I was thinking of using a two man auger for the job, because I'm planning on removing the old fence posts that are in bad shape, and digging new holes for the new fence posts.

Is this a good idea?

Oh, and what about pouring in cement at the foundation of the hole before placing the wooden fence post.

The fence posts are made of weathered wood, and should last for some time.

Please help!

Old 04-17-09, 05:26 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Post Holes

You will need a 16 in. diameter hole for 12 in. diameter posts. I doubt that a two-man auger will handle the job. I know I definitely would not want to be one of the two men.

You need to dig the holes with hand diggers or rent an auger attached to a skid steer loader.

After removing the old posts, hand digging the original hole to accommodate the new posts should be sufficient.

Old 04-17-09, 09:30 PM
B
Well hand digging them would be a lot more work, and a lot more time consuming.

I have a feeling that the two man should work, but I've never worked with augers before, so i don't know if it will work or not.

the way that i'm installing the fence posts, does that seem like a sound plan?

Old 04-18-09, 12:13 PM
G
Sounds like a lot of liability is involved. What is speced out on the plans? What did the Engineer recomend for the soil sample stability? Private park? I would get a disclaimer or raise your insurance premium a lot. Be safe, GBAR

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: