best placement for a fence

Old 05-13-09, 07:50 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
best placement for a fence

Is there any information out there that says that the best way to install a fence is in a straight line? I am debating with a company that wants to install a fence in a zig-zag format around my home and I think it would be best to install it in a straight line. I can't find any research or text that supports my claim. Help! Thanks!

Old 05-13-09, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
It could be installed zigzag..but why do they want to? Just for aestetics? or is there an actual reason it needs to be done that way? Boulders, trees, etc?

If you are paying for it, you can have it anyway you want.

Old 05-13-09, 08:45 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
it's because of the trees, but in my opinion, they could loop between the trees. it just seems like a way to pay for more fence. thanks for your help!

Old 05-13-09, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I see...part of the problem with going between the trees would be root issues. Not just a problem when digging for the posts, but could cause serious damage to the trees as well.

It sounds like they are doing what they think is best for you.

Old 05-15-09, 11:17 AM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Just food for thought. If the fence company wants to weave in and out between the trees, ask them to put up a string line with posts determining all the turns they plan to make. That line would represent the fence line when they are done.

If you are not satisfied with the look of that string line in the way it zig zags through your property,, then ask the installer what other options you have.

As for the assumption that they would be trying to add footage onto the job to sell you more fence? That is highly unlikely. The easiest fence to install is a straight one. To install in a zig zag fashion it is much more difficult as well as slower to install the line. Their interest in weaving between tree's rather than an easier straight line leads me to believe that just like Gunguy45 states, it is probably in the best interest of your specific job and its conditions that are presented.

By the way , weaving between trees is a normal occurance. If the fence company weaves away from the property line they should weave back towards the property line as soon as they can , but with doing so they should also make the fence look right to the eye.
The stringline idea will help you see everything as it will be and it will not cost anyone anything other than a little time to set it all up.

Good luck,

Gregs Fence ~

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: