Gate for Wire Garden Fence

Old 07-05-09, 09:07 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gate for Wire Garden Fence

I am installing a 5 ft high welded wire fence around a garden area using metal stakes. I would like some suggestions on how to make a 36" wide gate for the fence. Should I set two 4x4 as gate posts in concrete or soil back-fill and make a gate between them. Or, is can I use the metal stakes as the gate posts, fasten wood to them to mount the hinges and install the gate? Thx.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-09, 05:04 PM
Temporarily Suspended
4x4s should work. Cement isn't needed.

Old 07-07-09, 06:43 AM
I agree, 4x4's are the better choice. I believe if I am on track with the type of stakes you are using for the perimeter of your fence, that type of stake would easily twist or give.
A 4x4 post would not move once put in the ground while at the same time they are easier to attach any typical hinge to.

Old 07-08-09, 06:41 PM
We used PVC pipe for our gate, then covered it in wire fence, its light and works very well. For hinges we used hinges for a chainlink fence gate, seems to be holding up good,well at least the dog hasnt gotten through yet, thats all that matters. For stakes for the fence and gate posts we used 6ft green stakes from home store, pounded them in a good ways.

good luck