First Gate/Fence build - quick question

Old 07-15-09, 12:23 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
First Gate/Fence build - quick question

I have an area on the side of my house between the house and the neighbor’s fence that is approximately 9.5 feet wide. My 3 year old LOVES to make a wild dash from the back yard through this “alley” to the front of the house and the busy street. For safety’s sake I have to install a fence and gate to keep him in the back yard.

I am planning to start the install this weekend and I have a question about my plan. Using 4x4 posts and wood shadowbox fence panels I am planning to set a post next to the front corner of the house and another approximately 44”-48” away (toward the neighbor’s fence) for the gate opening. I will then run a fence panel the remaining way to the neighbor’s fence.

Now, here is my question. My assumption is that for the fence to be strong I need to run an 8 ft fence panel parallel to the neighbor’s fence, making an L turn toward my back yard. Is this really necessary if I am setting my posts approximately 36” deep in quick dry cement? Or will my fence be strong enough simply going straight across?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-09, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
No fence pro, but it shouldn't be an issue for that short a section. Are you sure you are going deep enough on the posts for your area? Isn't it pretty cold in NJ? Whats your frost line?

And you don't need to put in a panel if you decide to brace it. Just sink a post 3-4 ft away and use 2x4 braces.

Old 07-15-09, 12:46 PM
A
Thanks Gunguy.

Code in my township is 30 inches. I am planning to dig down about 42 inches and then fill with 4-6 inches of gravel before setting the posts.

What do you mean about the 2x4 braces?

Old 07-15-09, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator
Just no reason to use a fence panel..more $$$, plus you'd have no access to that part of the neighbors fence or the side of your panel against the fence. Attach lengths of 2x4 using Simpson brackets or similar, in place of a panel.

I would have thought your code would have been more, but that was just a guess.

Old 07-15-09, 01:27 PM
A
So you're saying I should set a 4x4 post roughly 8 feet away but instead of a fence panel, I should set 2 2x4's between the posts using the brackets. Is that correct?

Thanks again for your help!

Old 07-15-09, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator
Right...but they don't have to be that far back....3 -4 ft would be plenty I would think. Might want to even do it on both sides.

btw...depending on the foundation..digging close to the house can be a real bear sometimes.

Old 07-15-09, 01:48 PM
A
That's what I'll do then.....

That post next to the house will be a bit tricky. I have a sidewalk there. My plan is to use a bracket from Simpson Strong Tie called the EZ Base FPBB44 (E-Z Fence™ Post Products) with 4 wedge anchors set 7.5" deep.

Old 07-27-09, 12:09 PM
andysly5 ; ... And hello my fellow New Jersey'r

36" in depth in most any area of NJ is fine for digging. The idea of using the stone base is even better. But that stone base is not completely neccesary if you are in higher areas without a lot of higher water tables.
The gate is more my concern as you already have a good hold on what you want to do as well as what you should do structurally.
In wave of the gate you should for sure use an inside swing. Meaning if your child is running through the yard and perhaps would push against the gate it should be stopped by the latch bar so that the gate would not just open if pushed. I would also mount the latch above the childs grasp. And depending on the type of latch used I would suggest to use a latch that is not eye level for a child.
If you are using a thumb latch, make sure you purchase a Heavy duty thumb latch. In the local hd, or lowes you could purchase latches and hinges together in one package. But with that the latch is a very simple, not so durable one. I would suggest going for the latch that is very similar to that one but it is typically made by stanley and sold separate on its own. It is about 4 times as large and it has a much larger strike bar than those other very small latches. Plus it has a plate that allows for 4 screws as opposed to the smaller strike bars that allow for only 2 screws. Those types typically fall off in a matter of months . Sometimes they last years, but for the extra 7 dollars the larger latch is worth the expense and security.

If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to reach out and ask...

Good luck with your fencing project ,,,

Gregs Fence~