Wood Privacy Fence on an angle

Old 11-17-09, 05:25 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wood Privacy Fence on an angle

Hi,
I'm going to be stick building a 6' tall privacy fence. The first 16 feet will be joined to my neighbors fence at a 90 degree angle. Then, I need to angle the fence at about 35-40 degrees for the next 16 feet. 8 feet of that will be for a double gate, framed with an adjust-a-gate. The next 5 feet will turn back in 35-40 degrees for a 5 foot gate, again framed with an adjust-a-gate. Hope all that makes sense.

My questions: should I rip down the posts to make the angles, or mitre cut the rails? Should i use 4x4, 4x6 or 6x6 posts?
Will having the hinge side of one of the double gates and the hinge side of the 5 foot walk gate on the same post be an issue?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Old 11-18-09, 07:35 AM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
b10751,

Welcome to the forums.

Miter cut the rails rather than rip the posts down.

4X6's would be plenty for the posts. Orient the posts so that the 6" face is parallel with the fence boards and rails.

Old 11-18-09, 12:28 PM
B
Thanks for the info! Do you foresee any problem with hinging 2 gates onto one post?

Old 11-18-09, 06:13 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
It would just be my opinion not to use wood posts to hang two different gates on.

Certainly the use of a 4x4 is out of the question.

The use of a 4x6 could be used for one gate, but you would be limiting yourself to a post cap if you had any plan to use post caps.

The use of a 6x6 is always nice on any gate opening, but still , regardless of using something so beefy, I still would not suggest hanging two different gates off the one post.

The 5' wide gate will be heavy. The 4' wide gate from the double drive gate would also be considerably heavy.

Add on the weight of the adjust a gate frame kit and the whole idea sounds like a problem in the making.

When it comes to which part of the fence to miter,

I would miter a little bit of both. Taking out a small notch from the post to allow the rail in on an angle, as well as mitering the rail end to join the adjoining section of material sounds like the best way to go.

When mitering the post, you do not need to rip the whole post. All you need do is notch out for the area of the post that needs to accept the rail.
You may need to miter the very end of the last pickets of each joining section.

Good luck with your fencing project.

Gregs Fence~

Old 11-18-09, 06:49 PM
B
thanks GF. I also thought about only mitre-ing the post where the rails meet. Trying to rip an entire post at the correct angle seems error prone, and expensive, if I mess it up.

Not sure what i'm going to do about the 2 gates/1 post thing. I don't have any flexibility has to where I put these gates. Unless I go with a new layout where I utilize several 90 degree turns, and that will eat up too much yard space I wanted in the back yard...

Old 11-18-09, 10:37 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
B10751;

Question would be this; If you have a double drive gate of 8 feet in width, why is it neccesary to have a walk gate of 5' in width so close by?

Second question ; Why must you swing the gate off the center post between the double drive gate hinge post and the walk gate?

Is it possible to put the walk gate into a different area so that the double drive gate could have an adjoining post with a small piece of fencing between one of the panels of the double drive and the actual walk gate you are installing?

And is the double drive gate intended for large tractors, or a car or truck? If only for tractors you could probably get away with less than an 8 foot opening for the double drive as well as perhaps a 4 foot opening for the walk gate. If this is possible, then you can separate the dd gate and the Wg with as much as 36 inches of material. Plus you would be using two different posts to support the two different gate openings.

A really far out idea, not that I believe it to be the best aproach, is to use a wheel on both latch sides of both gates that must hang off this center post. At least with the wheel, you would have some support of the sheer cantilever weight of the gates. I do not think this is the best way to go because any imperfection in grade would cause your gate stress cracking. The hinges would suffer, the wood pickets and their screws or nails would suffer and surely even the gate kit would take abuse of the gate rolling over uneven ground.

Still, if you can only install the way you have first posted, a wheel may be something to consider.
If you decide upon such a path, look for a wheel with a spring loaded shaft. It would be much easier on the gates if they have a little give with the bumps.

I hope that helps somehow.

Gregs Fence~

Old 11-19-09, 08:38 AM
B
The dbl gate will be used infrequently. I have a 6X10 utility trailer that I store in my back yard and due to the slope of my back yard, the dbl gate has to be where i have it planned. The walkgate next to it will be the main passage to the back yard. I don't have to make it 5 feet wide, in fact i may cut it back to 4 feet.

Another alternative, i guess, is instead of making the drive gate a double gate, just make it a single hinged 8 foot gate and hinge it on the post opposite the walk gate...

Old 11-19-09, 09:26 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Gates

Why not do away with the walk-through gate and use one of the double gates as your walk-through?

Old 11-19-09, 12:00 PM
B
convenience. the walkthru gate will be latched on the side of my house foundation, along the sidewalk that goes from my driveway to the backyard. wife doesn't want to have to walk thru the grass to use dbl gate.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: