Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Fences, Posts, Railings and Gates
Reload this Page >

insulation material between existing "double" fence

Old 03-14-10, 09:19 AM
A
AMW
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I had a wooden fence installed around the back yard of my row home after my neighbor installed central air. There are two 8x8' panels perpendicular to where our yards (and houses) meet, approx. 5" apart, with a sheet of some kind of insulating material attached to the panel closest to his house. The material doesn't really block the sound as well as I'd hoped. Is there material (like wood chips?} that I could use to fill the gap, and further block noise, that would not cause rotting? The tops of the fences are scalloped, and I could put some kind of narrow 5" "roof" over the 2 fences but would rather not. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-14-10, 09:57 AM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
What would not rot is typically a man made product. Something like rubber chips would be an example of such.

I believe rubber chips would work towards retention of sound. I also believe it would not deteriorate with exposure to the natural elements.
I would also assume that the use of that material or some other product with similar qualities would be a home for rodents.
I am not very big on giving rodents a home close to my own.

As for fencing options, Instead of using a single sided or solid board fence I would think using a timber above ground retaining wall may work better.

It would also be very costly.

Outside of that option perhaps the planting of high leafy shrubs would assist in blocking the sound from one yard to the other.
For shrub ideas I would suggest going to your own neighboring landscaping nursery. They would suggest the plant best suited for the area of sun, shade and climate.

I hope that helps a little .

Gregs Fence~

Old 03-14-10, 11:31 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
"perhaps the planting of high leafy shrubs would assist in blocking the sound from one yard to the other"

That was my thought I'm not too keen on a double fence, between not a lot of air circulation and lack of room for maintenance - I'd expect a shorter life for the fence

Old 03-14-10, 02:46 PM
A
AMW
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Maybe I should clarify

This double-walled fence is between concrete area at back of both my neighbor's and my yards. Concrete/sidewalk area surrounding basement doors on each side. Also most of rest of my yard is bricked in as there is little light during the day and growing not really an option.
If i poured rubber chips (or wood chips? would these rot? like wood chip mulch?) between the 2 panels of fence I could close the gap at the end opposite our house walls with wood and I don't think rats would get to it?. I don't mean to go on and on but there's only about a 5" gap between the panels. Why would rats want to nest there in rubber chips?
Also then could i leave the scalloped top of fence(s) open? Leave gap open at top?
Thanks again in advance.

Old 03-14-10, 05:23 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Rats, squirrels, mice, whatever else.. To me they are all rodents. Those undesirable creatures that give me the willies to see running around, Inside the home or out.

As for why they would nest in rubber mulch.. rodents will nest anywhere that would provide shelter and or warmth.
Shelter is between fences. Warmth is the rubber mulch insulation itself.
I suggested rubber because I have never known rubber to deterriorate over time. All those tires that are in landfills are there pretty much forever. The rubber mulch is the city's way of recylcing and land preservation.
Again , another go green solution.

Is rubber mulch a great idea? I would not think so. But you asked for a product that would not rot. That I would believe is your better answer to that specific question.
Personally I believe the moisture buildup between fences will destroy any type of wood fence on the market. I would assume a brand new fence would have less than an 6-8 yr lifespan soup to nuts.

In my own backyard my condenser fan makes a considerable amount of noise on a hot day. But my condenser fan is nearly 20 yrs old. It should be running very noisy. A new fan I would think would be considerably more quiet than my ancient dinosaur. Still, that is just a little tid bit of un needed info.

In your case assuming that using a solid timber border is not applicable for one reason or another. Basically the other options are changing the style of fence. Perhaps a Shaddow box design may cut the sound down between yards. I am not totally sure. I think the most decorative and the most effective way to cut down on sound would be that use of planting shrubs , bushes and or even small leafy trees.

I really do believe that plantings are your best bet. And I really do believe that adding any type of organic or inorganic material between fences will not only be a nesting ground for animals of any sort, but it more than likely will be the begining of the end of the lifespan of your existing fence. Both yours and your neighbors.

I do wish you the best of luck.

Gregs Fence~

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: