Replacing privacy fence ideas

Old 04-12-10, 06:53 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replacing privacy fence ideas

I have a 72" wood privacy fence around my back yard. I think it's called a stockade style. Whether the materials were poor or just the poor drainage caused it I have several panels that are mostly rotted near the ground. I also have 2 or 3 posts that easily rock back and forth when the wind blows. There are at least a dozen single boards that are bowed out and have pulled free of their nails.
I am going to replace the back property line first, for sure. I have two neighbors along that line. One has 2 large pit bull dogs that have dug up under the fence in several places and jump up on it when they get excited to see my two puppies. That neighbor has replaced half a dozen boards that their dogs have torn thru as they rotted. The other neighbor has small children and a small dog. We need a good divider of properties.
I don't want to waste money or time, but it has to be a quality fence. The wind blows the weaker fence panels around since it has no way to get thru. So, I've considered a semi-private fence like a dog eared shadow box to let air flow better. If my neighbors see what I'm wearing on Sunday morning, so be it.
I had an idea of buidling the base of the fence line more firm so dogs can't just dig under it. Has anyone ever seen a brick or cinder block lower wall? Say about 2 feet high, or less, with the wood fence coming out of it? The fence would be posted as usual, but stone would be dug a few inches down and used to support the fence as well as to prevent escapee dogs.
I can't find any thing on it with search engines. I would have to possibly adjust my fence line to not intrude on my neighbors' property lines.
So, I have several things here, but in summary:
1) Any ideas on a stone base for a wood fence.
2) Suggestions on better qality fence products in private or semi-private styles.
3) Ideas for keeping dogs from digging under fence without losing fence height.
Eric
Southeast GA

Old 04-12-10, 07:07 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
easiest would be to dig down about 16-in and just lay some blocks down and fill them with gravel to help support them. The gravel would help water to drain and help stop them from being dislodged easily, might even want to drive some rebar say in every other colume to help to secure them. when setting the posts if you will place about 1 1/2 ft of gravel in the bottom of the post hole before placing the posts it will help stop them from rotting at ground level. I did that to mine about 23 yrs ago and have only needed to replace about 12 out of over 50 posts in that time. I used stainless steel deck screws to secure the cross pieces to the posts so if something breaks it is easy to replace. The pickets are 1 x 12 rough sawn cedar fastened with drywall screws. It just shruggs off wind, we have had gusts over 50 mph lots of times and never lost a panel.

murphy was an optimist

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: