cant dig - how to secure fence post?

Old 04-30-10, 03:27 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
cant dig - how to secure fence post?

I can go down a few inches (4" max) but no more. The fence I am planning spans my geothermal well field so there is a mass of pipes right below part of the new fence line. How do I secure a couple of fence posts above ground? The rest will be dug to 3 feet. Large concrete footings above ground?

Old 04-30-10, 02:43 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
If you use cement above ground, slope it so water doesn't collect. Include the 4" in the footing.

Old 04-30-10, 04:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
A word of caution, no matter how secure you feel about digging, contact your local Before You Dig number. It is a free service and they will mark any areas where there are cables, etc. for you. I do it every time my wife gets a wild hair about planting grape arbors. I'm sitting on a tractor with a post hole auger and don't want to hit 15K volts at 3'. Makes for a bad day.

Old 05-02-10, 06:17 PM
K
Done that. In fact its fading a bit so I went out in the dark tonight and staked the lines so I could fine them when the spray paint fades. Had a thought though... I am going to hand dig around that area - seems more prudent - but how close is one supposed to be able to go to their marked lines do you think?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: