Aluminum fence on top of 6x6 retaining wall?

Old 07-13-10, 04:14 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Aluminum fence on top of 6x6 retaining wall?

I have a 20' section of 4' aluminum fencing that I'd like to run along a 3' high retaining wall made of PT 6x6's.

Anyone know how to make a good base connection? I've found a couple of deck mount connectors online, but I'm not sure how well they'd work.

I'm prepared to install some knee bracing if the posts require it for stability.

Old 07-14-10, 08:24 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Not a good idea to mount the fence on the retaining wall. The wall will not provide enough solid support for the fence, and the fence will catch wind which will tend to tear the wall apart.

A better idea would be to mount the fence on posts that are located just inside the wall.

Old 02-20-11, 10:28 AM
W
Because I needed to maximize the space I went ahead with building the fence on the wall. Also, it is only a 3-4' drop so it wouldn't be life threatening if the fence gave way. I used two types of metal brackets at the base to support the posts. 1 is a commonly available part that is a square bracket that you insert the post - this is not very strong. The other is a galvanized tube that was welded to a square flat piece. This piece is lag bolted to the retaining wall and the fence post is slid over the post. This post is fairly stable. But to add structural strength I set another post on the down slope side of the wall in concrete and used a metal bar to brace the two posts together. Obviously, this was more work and expense, but I didn't want to give up the 2' that would have been required to set the posts on the inside of the wall to get to solid ground to avoid the 6" of gravel backfill I'd used when building the wall.

Old 04-28-13, 10:37 AM
W
Update: Just wanted to post that the fence with downhill bracing has worked very well since it has been installed. Putting the fence on top of the retaining wall has also made mowing much easier - no need for a string trimmer .

Old 04-28-13, 10:41 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
Glad it worked out all this time. Are you in the mountains or flatland? We would have difficult time with the uprush of winds we encounter unless the bracing was sufficient.

Old 04-28-13, 11:01 AM
W
It's an aluminum decorative fence so wind pressure is not a problem. I agree with you if it was a wood fence.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: