Can I paint my vinyl fencing

Old 10-19-10, 10:36 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Can I paint my vinyl fencing

We have used white vinyl fencing to frame our company sign. We are thinking of painting it to look like aluminum. Is there any special techniques or tricks I should know before just spray painting?

Thanks
Nick

Old 10-19-10, 11:46 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
You can paint vinyl but you need to use the right type of paint - latex house paint. The general rule is vinyl can't be painted darker than the it's original color, you can change the color, just not a darker shade. Vinyl is temperature rated, that's why you can't go darker. Some of the better paint stores have an additive that can be put into the paint which will allow you to use a darker color.

The vinyl needs to be clean [any detergent residue removed] I've always liked to add emulsa bond to the paint to help with the adhesion.

Old 10-19-10, 03:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
There are also paints made just for vinyl, such as Sherwin Williams VinylSafe paints, (available in Superpaint and Duration) so that the color of the paint does not affect the vinyl adversely. Some darker colors are available, but you have to pick from the VinylSafe color palette. Some mfg's make an aluminum colored paint, but you would have to pick a silver-gray from their palette, since that is not one of the color choices.

Old 10-20-10, 05:40 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
"Sherwin Williams VinylSafe paints, (available in Superpaint and Duration)"

The additive they put in the paint is what turns regular superpaint or duration into vinylsafe. I used to think it was a separate line of paint but have since found out it's an additive they use - put into the paint along with the tint

Old 10-20-10, 10:17 AM
Group Moderator
interesting. But if it's just an additive they can add to any color, why then do they have only a few select colors (including some dark ones) that they say are "vinyl safe"?

I'll have to ask my SW guy that the next time I go in.

Old 10-20-10, 02:13 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't know, I always thought it was separate product line but I was informed otherwise a year or so ago. Maybe it only works with a certain amount of tint ???

Let me know what you find out, since I'm retired I don't go to the paint store very often

Old 10-20-10, 02:34 PM
Group Moderator
Well the web site seems to indicate that you can bring in any color for a color match, and still use the vinylsafe so you are probably right!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: