Pour concrete in fence post?

Old 11-06-10, 09:49 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pour concrete in fence post?

Just moved in and we have very strong winds in our area. I'm worried about our vinyl fencing. A neighbor of mine recommended pouring 1/4 bag of dry quik-rete down every post to reinforce the fence, then adding water. Is this the right thing to do?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-10, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
How are you setting the post initially? Just in tamped soil? How deep? What kind of panels are you using? All these are important.

1/4 bag will not be very much...maybe 1/8 cubic foot? Depending on the bag size of course.

Old 01-16-11, 07:42 AM
In addition to the questions already posted here is another... What style of fencing do you have?
Do you have a higher end PVC fencing where the rails are inserted into the posts through a routed hole in the post?
Or do you have the type of fencing that is attached to the fence post with brackets being attached to the post and the materials being screwed into the brackets?

If you pour the dry concrete into the post and add water I would say that would be much less effective as pouring in wet, already mixed concrete.

But if you have even the slightest gap in that fence post the cement will slip out. In this it would be my suggestion to make the cement more so on the drier side. Mix it yes..And mix it so that the cement lays in the post solid and without gaps... almost like a motar base... but do not make it a sloppy wet mixture. If it is just right you would have minimum seepage out through any cracks in the post.
Also, I would not fill the post to the top. Doing so would not be to your advantage any more than filling it half way.

Keep in mind, if you fill the post with cement, Repair of this fence is almost impossible without needing to cut the materials out and modifying installation.
This being the case, I would suggest filling every other post. This way the strength of one post would keep its neighboring post standing strong and so forth down the line.

Keep in mind freezing... water getting into the post and having no where to go. It is very common for a fence post to split because water gets in and has to expand when freezing.. If you have gaps in the cement inside the post and the water seeps in through gaps on the post wherever... the cement will expand and more than likely break anything in its path.

If you have any other questions feel free to jump back on...

Good Luck

Gregs Fence~

Old 01-16-11, 07:47 AM
Going back to Moderator Gunguy...

Like that question about how deep the posts were set..

If you set your posts at 34-36 inches deep which is very common in this area you would need about a 1/3 wheel barrow of cement to make the height half way up the post.
In premix , assuming that is what you were going to use, you are probably closing in on 1 full bag, if not a little more. But one bag should be sufficient.

I hope that helps

Old 02-17-11, 03:16 PM
Some more options...

Many PVC fencing manufacturers sell optional aluminum post inserts that go inside the post and add strength. Most of the time they are just used on the gate hinging and latching posts, but they can also be used inside of all the post in high wind load areas. Another option is a heavier wall thickness post. 6' high PVC privacy fence generally uses a 5" square post. I know of one manufacturer that offers a free standing 5" sq. post with a .130 wall thickness and an option to go with a heavier post that has a .160 wall thickness. Both of these post are call "free standing" because they do not require a wooden post insert to go inside of them to give them enough strength to to support the fence sections. Inquire with your fencing supplier in order to see if they can provide you with these options.

Good luck with your fencing project!