Installing A Fence

Old 02-28-11, 03:59 AM
R
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing A Fence

Hello,
I want to set aside part of my rear yard for a dog run.
I have a few ideas about what to use to build a 42 inch to 48 inch vinyl picket fence for this project. I would like drive Oz posts into the ground and then place a 4 by 4's in it. The 4 by 4 is actually 3-1/2 by 3-1/2 inches. Now what has me concerned is that I did not see a vinyl sleeve to fit over the 4 by 4 like a glove at the Home Center.
So, are they available or how do the contractors install a vinyl sleeve or post over a 4 by 4 to give a solid connection for screws without distorting the vinyl?
Another option is to go with a bigger sleeve or post but I would need something to fill the gap between it and the 4 by 4.

Old 02-28-11, 09:11 AM
L
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why mess w/ the Oz posts and the 4X4's? Simply embed the vinyl posts in the ground and go from there.

Old 02-28-11, 09:53 AM
R
I already made up my mind to use oz posts. If I have to, I'll paint the 4 by 4's white to match the vinyl fence. I want the ability to easily remove the 4 by 4's and the oz posts if needed. If your talking about just burying a vinyl post in the ground with or without concrete then both are out of the question. This fence is for the dogs and the fence may be temporary.

Old 02-28-11, 04:06 PM
L
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rjordan393,

You've already made up your mind, so do what you're gonna do.

But, how does the cost of an Oz post AND a 4X4 weigh against the cost of just a vinyl post??

At some point in the future, pulling a vinyl post won't be any more difficult than pulling an Oz post.

Old 02-28-11, 06:33 PM
R
The offerings that I see at the home centers have brackets that attaches to the post with screws. The other side of the bracket is a slip fit for the fencing. Without something solid inside the post, I see it as a weak connection which will loosen in time, when people start leaning on the fence.

I have a fencing contractor who is going to install a vinyl fence around my property and I'll be asking him where I can find the materials I want. Like I mentioned, the 42 to 48 inch fencing is for my dogs and I want to be able to easily pull my installation up when the dogs pass away or make a garden out of the area.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: