Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Fences, Posts, Railings and Gates
Reload this Page >

proper preparation before spaying stain on fence

Old 03-14-11, 09:35 AM

I'm new at this but I plan on using an airless sprayer to stain my fence. I used one years ago and it was easy. My thought was to buy a solid color stain and just do it. Then I read a lot about washing, sanding and rinsing first. Anybody know of a good quality stain that will stick without all the prep. Any recommendations on brand of stain?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-11, 09:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 74
Welcome to the forums!

Any stain will only be as good as the prep! I doubt you would need to do any sanding but a good cleaning should be done. I'd wet the fence and then apply a bleach/water solution with a pump up garden sprayer, let it set but not dry and then rinse with a pressure washer. A garden hose can be substituted for the PWer. Once dry - it's ready for stain

Is there any coating currently on the fence? That could determine which type of stain would be best. Basically you have latex or oil base solid stains. Generally the oil protects a little better but latex usually lasts a little longer. You'll find better quality stains at your local paint store as opposed to a paint dept. Price is often an indicator of quality.

btw - spraying is a little more complicated than just pulling the trigger. Back brushing/rolling the sprayed on stain helps to work it into the wood. I like to spray, back roll and spray again. Don't forget to be mindful of where the overspray is going!!