Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Fences, Posts, Railings and Gates
Reload this Page >

Need sturdy, yet inexpensive fence to keep protect tree-hedge from snowblower.

Old 07-20-11, 12:14 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Our neighbor's driveways is right next to our line of very old Arbor vitae and cypress trees that nicely screen his house. He hates them and this past winter, probably decided that aiming all the snow from his blower at OUR lot, would kill them (I'm deducing that last part--he said he really DOES hate the trees!).

What kind of tough fence (like chain link) could I put up to block most of the snow yet yet in light for the trees (they are right next to the fence line)? Right now, it's an old post & rail fence w/wire, that leans hard to port. I THINK I know why!

We're remodeling so we can't afford anything fancy. I'd go with simple stockade fence, but the trees would get no sun at the bottom. Short of a force field...any ideas out there?

Oh, and I did try several times to reason with him. No dice.

Old 07-20-11, 12:26 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
I don't see anything which lets light through like chain link stopping the snow coming off a blower, I certainly don't see chain link doing it.

Cheap might be putting the existing fence back up straight and seeing if you could attach a drift fence to it.

Old 07-20-11, 01:47 PM
You're probably right. I thought I could run some of those ugly, plastic slats, or whatever they're called, through the chain link, but that would not only cut down on light, but air flow. I like your idea of fixing the old fence and adding the drift fence! It'd need support because this guy's snow blower is powerful enough to cover a small ski area!

Old 07-20-11, 01:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
You could put up a temporary snow fence in the winter.

One issue to bring up is most cities require fences to be set back off the property line. Some it is a foot, others it is 5' or more.

Old 07-20-11, 02:47 PM
Good idea (the snow fence). This current fence is pretty old, so I don't think the law applies or else, it's "grandfathered" in. Also, the whacked-out guy told me HE put it up, last time I protested his snow-blowing. (This is interesting, as the fence goes around OUR yard, not his). I think if I attached a snow fence to the existing one, it would be okay. If not, I'm going to dig up all my trees, replant them elsewhere and blow his own snow back over his driveway! I've had it.

Old 07-20-11, 03:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
It comes in two colors. Dark green and safety orange. I suggest the orange.

Old 08-19-11, 07:23 AM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Try to make more peace, Not war. War betwee neighbors almost always never ends

Fences go up for an array of reasons... One of the biggest reasons is to block out pesty or rude neighbors.

It would just be a suggestion.... Because it does not seem that you need a fence for anything other than to block your trees... Why not install posts, in black directly on your fence line. You could attach your snow blocking fencing to it every winter on the bottom half and if you think you may need the tree supported a little bit you can use the steel post to string support your trees on the upper part. I mean yeah, you could always leave the fencing mesh attached all year long, but it seems that if you leave up an orange mesh all year long , you too would have to suffer the ugly look that it would give to your home. People may pass by and wonder why you would even do such a thing... The snow blowing neighbor may be a pain in the butt, but he will come out smelling like a rose compared to you, the man that installed orange fencing.

There is a snow fence that is a little more attractive... it is made of wire and vertical wooden slats, usually in a redwood color or brown. It is often seen on the sides of roadways , more near open fields. It is a 48 inch high fence... I do not install this type of fence myself, but that is because I have never had a call for it ....But in all reality it sounds like your better bet than anything that would be adding more salt to what seems to be an open wound on both sides of the fence line.

Basically I would suggest to do something to live with the difficulties he is presenting you with... I believe that reacting to it with another negative response will do nothing but cause another negative response from him, or them.

And that is my personal opinion, not my professional one.

Good luck either way it goes...

Greg~

Gregs Fence NJ

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: