Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Fences, Posts, Railings and Gates
Reload this Page >

spring action hinge on a residental chain link fence gate

Old 10-20-11, 08:59 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

My goal here is to have to gate close in case I leave it open. It's a residential side gate. At a minimum, get the gate pulled to. I've come up with a few plans listed below.

Plan A - one suggestion is to take a spring action hinge and latch for a wooden fence. Then use JB Weld to attach it to a chain link fence fitting.

Plan B - Use a long spring on outside of gate near the top. Hook one end into fence. Hook/secure to gate.

Plan C - Use a small scale weight and pulley. The hardware store down the street stock parts for boats. I'm thinking I can put something together with chain fishing weight and pulley

Plan D - I've found self-closing spring hinges online. The one place wants $50 each before shipping. Anyone every used these ?

Anyone have any suggestions or have done this ? Thanks in advance for your replies.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-11, 01:46 PM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
Gate Closer

A weight suspended between the gate and fence with a rope or chain will pull the gate closed. Low tech and cheap.

Old 10-21-11, 02:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 55 Posts
Low tech and cheap on a chain link fence? How about a bungee cord?

Old 10-22-11, 06:48 AM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
Gate Closer

How about a bungee cord?
Will not last when exposed to sunlight.

Old 11-13-11, 07:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wirepuller38 View Post
Will not last when exposed to sunlight.
But at a buck or two each, who cares?

Old 11-21-11, 06:23 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Gate closers, they do not have to be so primative and they still are under $20'

Sure you can use a bungee cord.. They are easy and very cheap. They work for years before breaking down in the sun and if you use the right type, perhaps like the rubber ones they will probably work for more than 3 yrs at a clip. But rubber bungee cords corst a few dollars each, if not just 3 that is too much to keep spending every 3 yrs or so... or just that sheer feeling of one day it will snap back and hit you right in the eye....

Ok , the ball and weight .... If you can pull that one off you will have a system that will work a whole lot longer than your fence will stand. They have been using the weight and ball setup for hundreds of years and yes, they work well. But, they are not so child friendly on the inside of the yard. And they can get caught up on bushes growing in the area of the gate. Yes they work great, and they are fantastic but they have their own application.. chain link is not the best for it. A wonderfully installed Spaced picket fence in wood... Now that is a fitting self closer to use.

Self closers are not all that expensive. For anywhere between $15.00 and $35.00 or so you can find a self closer that fits and works, and will continue to work well for your chain link gate for many years to come without getting hung up and without looking out of place like a big black spring that belongs on a wood gate.
A lobster claw self closer... costs usually about the higher end of $12.00-27.00... a smaller , flat bar self closer costs about $18.00 One with a rod costs about $24.00...

They all work well, each having their own specific look and use for each individual application.

Please keep in mind that for each self closer you would need a specific type of latch to go along with it... Mostly something like a butterfly latch works. But there are other latches like the child proof latches that work very well...