Leaning Fence Problems

Old 08-15-12, 02:48 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Leaning Fence Problems

Hi,
I have an issue with a leaning fence.
The ground level on my side is higher than my neighbours on the other side, and the fence is now leaning over towards his property.

The simplest solution for me is to install secondary fence posts next to the existing (leaning) fence, then strap the old to the new.
(see imgur: the simple image sharer for a beautifully made diagram).

Will this be enough to straighten the fence? How deep should the holes be for the secondary posts?

imgur: the simple image sharer

Thank you!

Last edited by isp_of_doom; 08-15-12 at 03:04 PM.
Old 08-15-12, 03:33 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
They should be deeper than the first posts and possibly sent in concrete to make the stable.

It looks like you have more of a retaining wall than a fence when it comes to lateral strength requirements.

Dick

Old 08-18-12, 09:07 AM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Remove it and reinstall it with longer posts, set in concrete.

I am just assuming from the looks of that picture that you installed the fence and then you back filled your property... Or so it looks.

The fence being a step job would also indicate to me that it is possible that the fence posts were not of sufficient length for the type of installation you have... A 6 foot high fence panel stepped up or down a foot or more should have a minimum of a 9 foot high post... In your pictures I would have supplied a 10 foot post to get the depth post to ground for that step and the height of the fence.
It would be just an assumption that using a new post to hold back your sections would just give it some time... I do not think shoring up what you have here is the solution. I would remove the entire side and reinstall it properly.

I can also see for this picture that your fence panels are buried with soil.... Very bad idea... If you do not plan to remove the fence to reinstall it I would surely remove the dirt line from the fence line. If you do not the bottom of the fence will eventually rot away and the entire fence will come down...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: