NJ Fence laws

Old 08-21-12, 08:19 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
NJ Fence laws

Can anyone tell me if there are any laws in NJ on placing a fence near or across a creek?

Thanks

Old 08-21-12, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 78 Upvotes on 70 Posts
You would need to read your local ordinance for your town I believe.

Try here and see if your town is listed. Then read, read, and read some more.

New Jersey eCode360 Library | General Code

Old 08-22-12, 03:38 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Also check with your wildlife department if it is a fish bearing creek. In our state there is a 25' buffer on either side of a waterway....50' if it contains trout, so building anything would be touchy.

Old 09-19-12, 06:39 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
There is a department in the building department... I think it is called something "waterways"... but again I am unsure. I know I can look, but I would guess that without a doubt there are restrictions about building over creeks... waterways or even placing a fence over any underground sewers.

In the world of questions, this is a doosey... one thing I would say is that if you create a dam you may be held liable if your neighbors homes get flooded out because water can not drain properly.

Good luck with your answers... If you still can not find out more, let me know.... Because you are in NJ I may be able to contact people in my own town building department, and I am sure they will guide me further and closer to your answer needed.

Gregs Fence Union County NJ~

Old 09-19-12, 07:04 PM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Most importantly is the FEMA and EPA..trust me, i been thru this . They have guidlines and specs about flood plains and fill/hieght/flow requirements Both have websites for information.

Old 09-20-12, 04:24 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
You're right, TG, I can't even clean out a rain creek running through the middle of my property if it gets clogged up without the EPD (Georgia) giving express consent. Then, they dictate how it is to be done, and no mechanical machinery is allowed. Gotta be done by hand.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: