6' Pickets on a 4' Frame

Old 01-21-13, 07:50 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
6' Pickets on a 4' Frame

Hello All!

We've lived in our home since 2008. When we moved in we had a privacy fence installed around our back yard. I think it is roughly 100' in total length (sides and back). Our HOA said we could have a 4' or 5' fence. Now the rules have changed and we have a dog who likes to jump up and rest his feet on the top of the fence. He is wearing out holes in the ground from bouncing up and down looking over.

Short of replacing everything, I was thinking I could go and purchase new 6' cedar pickets and just remove the 4' board and attach the 6' boards individually as I remove the old ones. My question is, will the 4' framing hold the 6' boards? It was installed by a fence contractor and they used 4x4 PT posts, and 2x4 PT stringers.

I was also thinking of taking the old 4' boards and installing them on the inside, sandwiching the stringers between the new and the old boards.

What are your all's thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Old 01-21-13, 09:12 AM

Perhaps there is another option you can consider.....you may be able to simply add a 2 foot lattice section on top.....might be easier and less costly then replacing all the fence boards.

Are the rails laid flat or on edge?.....how far down is the top rail?.....pictures would help.

Old 01-21-13, 09:42 AM
J
Our Golden Retriever could see through the lattice. Although it would be cheaper, I am not sure it would serve the purpose I am after.

The top support is about 6" from the top of the fence. So I would have 30" of unsupported fencing if I changed it out for 6' boards.

The rails are nailed to the 4x4's on their sides.

These photos are from 2008. All the houses behind us now have 6' fences.

Attached Images   
Old 01-21-13, 10:35 AM

There are varying levels and quality of lattice.....diagonal or square.....that offer completely closed privacy.....even for old yeller....

But....if you desire the full height look and are going to replace all the boards....then you may as well remove the rails at that point and sleeve the posts to the 6' height and install three evenly spaced rails to support the new boards. If you want to re-use the old boards and install them on the inside.....then you may want to install four rails to give full support.....and I would leave a 1" gap between each inside board to allow moisture to escape.

Old 01-21-13, 10:51 AM
J
Sleeve the posts? Care to explain or do you just mean pull out the old and put in new posts? I was trying to avoid that. However, if I can 'add on' to what I have that might work.

Old 01-21-13, 11:25 AM

Sleeve (cover) the existing post with something similar to this......see link below.

Veranda4 in. x 4 in. x 72 in. White Vinyl Fence Post-73010699 at The Home Depot

There is also a wide variety of materials and colors available elsewhere.....depending
on how much you want to spend.

4" x 4" x 78" Post Sleeve at Menards

Old 01-24-13, 07:17 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Not a fencer but I wonder if you couldn't build a stud wall like frame on top and cover with two foot high pickets. A horizontal 1X4 trim would cover the joint between old and new.

I imagine a top and bottom 2X4 horizontal plate with eighteen inch stud like vertical 2x4s but spaced every six feet.

Old 02-09-13, 04:50 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
In reading this post I am thinking to myself, " What if I were to suggest it would it look like after it's installed?"

Ok, If you were to remove your fence completely and install a new 6 foot high fence on the existing 4 foot high posts you say that you would be 30 inches above the top rail. I am assuming you are talking about just removing the pickets and reinstalling new pickets onto the old rails?

If so, I would not suggest doing that unless you install a backer rail about 6-7 inches from the top of the new picket. In doing so you would be supporting the pickets from warping, bowing in or outwards. If you do not support them they will get all wavy, going wherever they want to.. making the fence look horrible in a few short months or less.
Now, having a back rail unsupported by a post... What would that look like? On your side it may look a bit off... On the opposite side, no one would ever know the differece. On their side all they would see is a straight line of new pickets... Straight for the first few months anyway..
My better suggestion..

Taking a partial of an earlier post in backing up the fence with both a board on board fashion of picket.. Boards on one side and boards on the other.. Each making the existence of the new top rail more or less incognito. At the joining of the two sections, I would certainly toe nail the two rails together.. This giving them more strength, one supporting the other.

That is the more sensible way to go.. But it is also a costly way. Removing all the pickets and having a place for them somewhere else in the yard is great. If you have no place for them they are wasted.

But then you have to buy a whole bunch of new pickets , for both sides. Much to expense on this one.

The other option is just buying full sections of premade and nailing them onto the existing posts. Much easier.. faster, but more than likely the same cost factor.

Hit or miss you have an expensive question.

Another option is still costly...

Remove everything, and reinstall new posts.

The holes would be more or less dug out and ready to accept a new post. This would work out just fine if you did not cement the posts in place.
In this type of solution you would have additional cost for new posts and a new fence... But in removing the whole fence you may have the option of selling the fence before removing it. You never know... I have people who ask me for the fences I remove all the time.. And just like this past weekend I removed a fence that was in place for nearly a decade and half and the neighbor was all too happy to take it off my truck for use in their yard.
In that there is no reason why your 4 yr old fence would not be a valuable option for sale.

Hope my thoughts helped.

Good luck with this one.. Its just a bunch of optional choices.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 09-03-14 at 08:30 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: