Vertical slats on metal frame - advice needed

Old 02-15-13, 03:30 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vertical slats on metal frame - advice needed

Hi there,

I'd like to build a simple wooden gate between my brick garage wall and a hedgerow that happens to have a sturdy 4ft chain link fence inside. The metal post ends at the edge of the hedgerow and is strong, so ideally I'll connect the gate post to that using a male strap hinge. Here's where I start speculating, so let me know if I"m on the right track - or way off:

I'd like to use vertical cedar slats, a modern look. I thought I could mount a Adjust-A-Gate frame, add four 2x4's around the frame, and screw the slats onto the 2x4's. Should I be concerned about the weight of the frame with the addition of the 2x4's? I'm trying to avoid a wheel on the bottom of the gate. If I want the slats to extend up to 72" for more privacy, is there a way to increase the height of the 2x4's connected to the 60" frame?

Also, the brick wall touches my driveway at the bottom with an unknown ground surface beneath, so I'd like to avoid a post on that side. My thought is to mount a wooden stud into the masonry between the bricks on the garage wall and affix the latch to this. Any reason that wouldn't work, assuming I make it solid?

If there's a simpler, more cost effective, or less hokey way of doing this I'd love to hear it.

Thanks in advance.

JW

Old 02-16-13, 01:03 AM
M
Correction

Er......HORIZONTAL slats, I mean! Not sure what I was thinking.

Old 02-17-13, 09:43 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
The extra weight is definitely an issue.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: