sliding driveway gate needed on slope

Old 03-06-13, 09:34 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
sliding driveway gate needed on slope

I have an opening about 24', on a slope in the back yard with a difference of about 6" left from right, upon where i wish to install a driveway gate. I do not have the space to make a swing gate, because of my cars parked.

My plan is, to use 3, 5x8 chain link gate panels, some how attach together by some means (do not have access to a welder) and attached 2/3" higher than the previous, to conpensate for slope. Some how I want to also attach wheels - but cannot figure out how, when each panel is higher than previous. In order to power the gate, I was thinking of a garage opener covered with a whether proof box (something i saw on you tube) with at least 3/4 hp

But would I not be better off using 3 cedar fence panels joined together then braced with 2,4 wood still using the garage opener, at least then it would match the rest of the fence already installed, and would weigh less.

Thank you

Last edited by bobbygate; 03-06-13 at 09:36 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-08-13, 03:44 AM
W
Received 51 Votes on 46 Posts
Gate

With only 6 in. difference in elevation, I would build the gate level and attach a triangle shaped skirt to the bottom to close the gap. The gate will need to roll on wheels attached to the the fence posts.

Old 03-11-13, 11:26 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
would i still use a chain link gate for the drive way ?

thankyou, that does make sense in that to have it level, and skirt on the bottom, but would I still use 3 chain link panels (5x8) & not sure about how to join all together to make one piece ?

my second option was 3 cedar fence panels (5x8) joined together then triangle skirt on wheels attached to the fence, then would the whether not be a factor in making the cedar heavy when wet in terms of sliding more strain on the garage opener ?

Last edited by bobbygate; 03-11-13 at 11:42 AM. Reason: spelling

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: