Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Fences, Posts, Railings and Gates
Reload this Page >

Can new wood fence go over a raised concrete slab?

Old 03-06-13, 09:47 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Our house's backyard has concrete slab along one of our sides of the house and there is no fence there. In order to install a fence we would need to dig perfect holes on the concrete around the sides for the posts and that just doesn't seem possible (well maybe possible but more complicated then my other option).

I was wondering if it was ok to raise the sides of the backyard about 1 foot with concrete/cement and place the posts on the new raised concrete as oppose to trying to dig. I was thinking of making the new raised side about 6 inches wide and 1 foot high and sticking the posts in them.

Thanks

Old 03-06-13, 10:02 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 681 Votes on 602 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I'm not sure I understand
Are you wanting to build on top of the concrete slab? the slab may not support the additional concrete. Generally fence posts are set 18"-24" deep.

Old 03-06-13, 10:17 AM
P
Thanks!!

See attached pic..I want to do pretty much that around the side of the house but of course with concrete instead of blocks so it "cememts" to the floor and the posts. And fence is not as tall as the pic, just an average size fence (i think 6 feet tall)

Attached Images  
Old 03-06-13, 10:18 AM

Might be easier and cheaper and definitely more stable to have someone drill 1-1/2" holes through the existing slab.....then simply install standard black steel fence posts 24" into the ground.....and then fasten wood rails and pickets or even hang completed wood fence sections with the appropriate hardware.

What you have pictured is likely a car-porch wall that is supported by a roof structure.....so you can't really compare the two because you simply won't have the lateral support for a free-standing fence.
Even if you were to fasten your mini concrete wall to the slab.....the whole thing including the fence would likely fall over.....the leverage would just simply be too great......especially on a windy day.

Old 03-06-13, 10:53 AM
P
Thanks for the feedback, I figure it wouldn't be a good idea just wanted to get others opinions!

And I didn't think about using steel posts, I figure I had to use wood posts since the fence is wood, although it may look kind of ugly but at least sturdier lol

Old 03-06-13, 05:20 PM

Not sure why you think it can't look ok......plus you have the option of using black posts.
They even make specific brackets for this exact application which makes it very DIY friendly.
You could even rent a core drill and drill all the holes yourself.....and rent a hand operated fence post sleeve installer to simply pound the 1-1/2" or 2" posts into the ground.

Attached Images    
Old 03-07-13, 08:45 AM
P
Didn't know you could do it like that or there was such thing as a core drill lol, that actually makes alot more sense and looks easier. Thanks!!!

Old 03-07-13, 09:08 AM
G
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Have you checked with the code enforcement officer for your jurisdiction to see if you can erect a privacy fence where you want? Some will only allow tall fences if they're strung a couple feet inside the lot line. If your slab runs right up to the line this might be possible, but would look stupid.

Old 03-07-13, 09:30 AM
P
The place where I am planning to put a fence there is a fence already but its on the neighboors side and its falling apart and he has no desire to change it so I wanted to build one on our side so I think there shouldn't be any problems but I'll still double check.

I'll take a picture so it makes more sense. Thanks

Old 03-07-13, 09:06 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Make sure you have a way of dealing with the weeds that are bound to spring up between the 2 fence lines. Such as placing a layer of heavy plastic covered by decorative rock, even though part of same may encroach on the lazy neighbor's property.

Old 03-08-13, 04:41 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 681 Votes on 602 Posts
If you are on good terms with your neighbor, I'd see about enlisting his help and tearing down his fence and install the new fence [on your side of the line] Besides eliminating any weed or trash issue between the fences it would give you better access to stain the fence.

Old 03-08-13, 11:54 AM
P
Here are some pics of the side of the house where i want to put a new fence. Suggestions on what would be the best way to do this? The gab i labelled ius 8 inches wide

Attached Images    
Old 03-12-13, 08:50 AM
P
I meant to write "the gap i labelled is about 8 inches wide"..this is where I am thinking of building the new fence, any feedback?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: