Vinyl Fencing - Installation Question

Old 04-06-13, 05:45 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vinyl Fencing - Installation Question

What is the solution when you can't put the vinyl post right up against the house because of the french drain pipe?

Thank you, Dee.

Old 04-07-13, 04:47 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 672 Votes on 595 Posts
Welcome to the forums Dee!

I don't know much about vinyl fences but generally in that situation the post next to the house gets bolted to the house if the gap from sinking the post in the ground [where it will fit] isn't acceptable.

Old 04-13-13, 01:16 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
My son was able to re-route the piping (plastic tubing). His problem now is he has hit the concrete footing. It looks like he will have to come up with a way to attach the post to the house. I told him to just concrete the post in the hole he was able to dig, but it's only about 8" down. He said it wouldn't hold. Dilemmas, dilemmas, lol! I believe he said the posts have to go down into the ground 36" before concreting them.

Dee

Old 04-13-13, 01:27 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 672 Votes on 595 Posts
I agree with your son - 8" isn't deep enough!! I usually shoot for about 2' when installing fence posts. I would think 18" would be bare minimum. About the only 2 choices are to either attach it to the house or go past the footer and then figure out how to fill in the void between the post and the house.

Old 04-23-13, 04:19 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
There are a couple of ways to fix this problem. But because I am not sure of the application of fencing design I am unsure which is best approach.

If this is a gate opening, nearest the house and the post in question is to be a gate latch or hinge post I would suggest drilling into the foundation and installing a pipe. There are interior brackets to attach to a steel post so that you can slide the pvc post ontop of it. Then with cement inside the post as well as inside the hole everything should work out fine.

I personally veer away from bolting into the house. Not that drilling into the foundation is any better, but I do take one over the other if given the choice.

The other idea would be to just dig the hole where you can... If it is another 4 or 5 inches away, make it enough to fit a second post inside the hole to have two posts sistered up next to one another. This is only acceptable if the post against the house is the end of a fence line... Not a gate post. A fix like this is not the most sightly thing to look at. But it works and it is fully functional with that type of problem.

I hope some part of my ideas help you along.. Its a tough one to make suggestions on as the only way to go is bolting to the house, drilling into the foundation or making it an unsightly repair.

Good Luck

Last edited by Shadeladie; 09-03-14 at 08:28 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: