Post Hole Problem

Old 04-22-13, 06:37 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Post Hole Problem

Hey everyone!

So here's the issue. Removed 3 original posts, redug 2 of the holes to 24" (they were 12" and shaky at best), now I am stuck with the 3rd hole. Ultimately, i am replacing the original board-on-board fencing in this area.

Here is the layout:

3 Sections:

1. 3 foot section of fencing up to the side of the house
2. Approximately 30" wide gate
3. 3-4 foot section of fence butts up to neighbor's fence

The issue is #1. Originally, there was a post that the gate was hinged on and a post near the house and the fencing ran between the two. The post by the house was inches from the block foundation. Come to find out, it was actually "resting" on top of the horizontal concrete "slab/extension" (about 5" wide) that comes outward from the block foundation. A concrete footing was poured for the post, but again, it was only about a 12" deep hole.

No problem, I said. Just come out from this slab/extension 12" and dig my hole. Well "call before you dig" is coming out to vereify, but I believe i have electrical and signal utilities running right through the area i wanted to dig the hole, so scratch that.

If I come away from the house further yet, now I'm getting ridiculously close to my gate post. The footings would probably be touching or pretty close, and my rails would float quite a distance from the post to the house.

I'm left with looking at re-digging the original 12" hole on top of the slab/extension off of the foundation, pouring a footing, and hoping for the best. The original had been there for several years, and with it being such a short run of fence, it held. But, i was easily able to rock the post out by hand when I took it out.

Question: Would it be best to just go with the orignal hole? Is there anything else i can really do here? I have maybe 10-12" exposed block on the bottom, then vinyl siding the rest of the way up, so I'm not real keen in tying into the house. Is there anything I could to give the post a more solid base? It might sound ridiculoius, but what about digging a wider hole, and screwing a short piece of 2x4 perpendicular to the bottom of the post, seating the 2x4 on the ledge off the foundation, then pouring the footing over that? I'm sure some experrts are cringing or laughing at that, but I'm at a loss for how to handle this one.

I appreciate any ideas, sorry for being long winded!

Thanks!

Old 04-22-13, 03:38 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Not seeing your specific problem, but in the past I have been able to notch the 4x4 such that it sits on the foundation pad on the notch and the balance continues down to the desired depth. Sort of like a lady sitting side saddle on a horse - for an appropriate picture. Similar to your mounting a 2x4 but using the original 4x4 and keeping more of the integrity intact. 2x4's are not rated for ground contact and would rot out over time. Is 24" depth appropriate for your neck of the woods. I believe the further north you go, the further south you have to dig....

Old 04-22-13, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator
Received 77 Votes on 69 Posts
Not seeing your issue either but instead off digging the post by the house, attach the post to the house.

Old 04-23-13, 08:08 AM
B
Thanks for the reply back.

czizzi: After I posted, it hit me that 2x4s arent reated for ground contact, as you mentioned. So no go there. Thanks for the picture and i totally envision the side saddle approach. The problem there is that the utilities run right along the edge of the slab extension if you can believe it. My original plan was to dig down right alongside of the foundation, but the wires aren't gonna like that much. in my neck of the woods, it varies by City jurisdiction, but some say minimum of 24", with the depth being half the height of the fence (42" in my case). I may try to go deeper, but the clay is pretty solid.

lawrosa & czizzi: I guess I don't know what better way to explain it. czizzi, you pretty much eluded to the problem when you asked about the 24" depth. If the post rests on the slab extension, it will only be 12" below grade, max, as opposed to the desired 24" plus. With the given length of that particular fence section being approx. 3 feet, I'm wondering if the footing will hold up to the test of time.

As i mentioned in the original post, I'm not too keen on attaching the post to the house. Read through some other forums that recommended against that.

Any other ideas or is the consensus that the 12" footing would be sufficient in this case?

Thanks!

Old 04-23-13, 08:12 AM
B
lawrosa - if I were to consider attaching the post to the house, how would you recommend going about that? As i mentioend, i have maybe 12" of exposed block and then vinyl siding the rest of the way up. I appreciate the ideas.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: