Post hole question

Old 04-30-13, 02:07 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Post hole question

Our handyman filled in two of our fence post holes with wood posts to seal them off. He then covered them with some sort of putty. I can easily remove the putty but am wondering if you have any idea how I might get the wood out that is jammed in the post hole. Thanks!

Old 04-30-13, 02:16 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Going to have to explain why the post holes needed to be filled in the first place.

Old 04-30-13, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 65 Votes on 60 Posts
If they are in dirt they will not be that hard to remove.

You would need to dig around the post for at least a foot in depth and a foot around.
You should then be able to jam a long bar against the post while prying doing this on all four sides.
This should get the piece of post moving enough to loosen the soil's grip and pull it out.

If you get it loose you should also be able to wrap a chain around it and lever it up with a bar.

If you do not have a bar or chain maybe the handyman has one.

Old 04-30-13, 07:36 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The post holes were in concrete (like a metal sleeve in the ground that a post would go into). When we bought the house all that was left was the holes in the ground. We were initially afraid that our small children could get their foot trapped in the hole, so we had the handyman fill it. Now we actually would like to use the holes to put up a fence but there is the wood jammed in them.

Old 05-01-13, 04:31 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 681 Votes on 602 Posts
Why were the post holes filled with wood instead of dirt?

You can't just pull out the wood and insert new posts. You'll need to clean out, maybe partially redig the hole. Dig a little bit around the top so you can get a hold of the wood, wiggle, pry it out and remove the concrete. You'd then need to redo the hole with a post hole digger. Is it feasible to put the posts in a different location?

Old 05-01-13, 05:23 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I agree, just make new holes.
No way as a new post going to fit in the old holes in the concrete.

Old 05-01-13, 05:30 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,572 Votes on 1,413 Posts
I would get a large eye screw. Something that can go deep into the wood and get a good grip. Drill a pilot hole in the center of the wood and screw in the eye screw. Then run a piece of rope through the eye so you can get a good pull on it to try and remove the wood.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: