Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Fences, Posts, Railings and Gates
Reload this Page >

Plug in electric Fencer and it immediately pops the GFI, help please

Old 05-09-13, 08:04 AM
S
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts

We had a severe snow storm this past winter. Lots of trees came down on my electric fence. Spliced it in several places, which I've done before, but when I plugged my fencer back in, the GFI immediately blew.

I gave up then but today, I tried it after looking the fence over and making sure there were no obstructions or anything laying on it and again, as soon as I plugged it in, the GFI blew.

Is this a problem with my fencer itself or, do I need to rewire the fence eliminating the splices. The splices are just wire wrapped around wire to make the connection. This fence is over 20 yo.

Thanks all!

Old 05-09-13, 08:16 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,561 Votes on 1,404 Posts
I suspect it's in the fence charger. I can short out my electric fence without tripping the GFCI but it's a more modern pulse type. If your charger is 20 years old it's probably a simple transformer sending out power continuously.

Old 05-09-13, 08:17 AM
Group Moderator
Received 145 Votes on 113 Posts
Probably not the splices. First thing I would do is disconnect the unit from the fence itself and see if it still trips the outlet when you plug it in; that may give you a clue. Is this old-school fencing or the high tensile setup?

Old 05-09-13, 08:26 AM
S
It has 17 guage wire on the top line with 1/2" white poly something or other with the fine threads running through it. I have a second line about 18" below that with just the 1/2" poly something or other with the fine threads only.

I'll disconnect it from the line itself and try that - smart

Old 05-09-13, 12:42 PM
S
It's the fencer. I took the hot wire off the fencer and plugged it in and it blew the GFI.

Does this mean I need a new fencer? I looked at the fuses and they looked fine to me.

Old 05-09-13, 04:53 PM
P
Group Moderator
Sounds like it might be time to shop for a new charger.

Old 05-09-13, 05:09 PM
S
Thanks, that's what I was afraid of. Life.

Old 05-09-13, 05:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
You've probably taken a lightning hit. Do you have the charger grounded in three places? Makes a big difference when storms happen by.

Old 05-09-13, 05:50 PM
S
Yes, I had it professionally installed. I put it in originally but 3-4 years ago, I had a barn put up and when they put in the electric, they also wired the charger into it. I must have taken a hit of lightening.

My frost free hydrant now puts out sand with the water if I don't turn the water off to the hydrant when not in use. Even so, when I turn the water on at the house to the hydrant, by the time I get out there, there is a little sand with the water when I first turn it on.

This happened last year. Dug the hydrant up and installed a new one. The old one had metal missing at the base. That was such a leak, you could hear the water running down in the pipe with the hydrant turned off. I would hear my water pump turning on when it shouldn't have been. Really cost me in electric bill.

This new one, you can't hear it in the pipe but I did catch the water pump coming on and paid attention to the water out of the hydrant and sure enough, sand!

I have to dig it up and probably install a new one again soon. Bummer. Reminds me, I had the water on out there this am - have to run downstairs and turn it off, UGH.

Something is definitely wrong here.

Old 05-10-13, 04:53 AM
P
Group Moderator
Start a new thread in the plumbing section if you need advice about your yard hydrant. We've got some good plumbers that hang out on the board.

Old 05-15-13, 01:02 PM
S
Thanks, I think it would be prudent to start a new thread in this forum as it has to do with my fencer and grounding in sandy soil or, at least, that's what I believe right now. So frustrating.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: