Grass Stains & Dirt on Vinyl Fence

Old 05-23-13, 04:47 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Grass Stains & Dirt on Vinyl Fence

I pressure washed my vinyl fence and the bottom part has these stains and dirt that refuses to come off. These stains are embedded into the vinyl. What are my options to remove them?

Old 05-23-13, 05:00 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Scotch Brite cleaning pad.

Old 05-24-13, 03:23 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 672 Votes on 595 Posts
detergent, scrub brush and elbow grease

Old 05-24-13, 07:01 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,561 Votes on 1,404 Posts
I would not use anything abrasive. While it can help get the initial stain off it leaves the previously smooth vinyl surface with thousands of fine scratches that make it stain and get dirty even faster and more difficult to clean. Thorough scrubbing with a soft cloth or brush and soapy water can get some off. Next up on the aggression level you can scrub with a soft cotton rag and mineral spirits.

The party rental industry uses a lot of vinyl chairs, tents and decorations. A search online for "vinyl tent cleaner" will turn up many companies selling commercial cleaners for vinyl. Searching for "tent" versus "chair" turns up more commercial applications which seem to have more effective cleaning products.

Old 05-24-13, 07:44 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks All,
I did try mineral spirits and a few other solvents but all I managed to do was smear the tire marks from my lawnmower. When I used the hi-pressure washer, I at least expected the embedded dirt and grass stains to come off.
So this morning, I used some oven cleaner on the tire marks with no results. Then my nephew in law saw what I was doing and he introduced me to a product called "Magic Eraser" by Mr. Clean and available at any supermarket.
I was skeptical at first and I watched him do a few spots and I was amazed. This product is outstanding. With barely any effort, the dirt and grass stains came off easily and the tire marks took a bit of elbow grease and this product is far superior then using strong solvents.
Now I wonder if I can protect the bottom of my fence with clear silicone so that I only have to clean the grass stains every few years?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: