Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Fences, Posts, Railings and Gates
Reload this Page >

How do I make a fence opening large enough to get a rider mower through it?

Old 05-31-13, 03:03 AM
U
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I would like your advice. A guy in the neighborhood cuts my front lawn. He would cut my back lawn too, however, he uses a rider mower and he needs at least 40 inches (I believe) of clearance to get the rider into the backyard.

I have a chain link fence with a gate. The gate only opens to about 38 inches. If you look at the attached picture, I beleive the distance from the gate to the far end pole is about 45 inches. I don't want to do too much to the fence on the right side, because I planted honeysuckles there and they are taking root.

My question is what is the least expensive/most efficient way to create an opening large enough for the rider to fit through. I want to keep some form of a gate there.

I am a novice, so the more details, the better. Thank you.

Attached Images  
Old 05-31-13, 03:23 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
I have to comment on the honeysuckle, first.....you PLANTED honeysuckle??!! My gosh, I make Roundup's quarterly earnings in trying to get rid of it.

I'm not sure what size you can buy gates in, but you may be able to have someone make you a gate that would fit across your 45" opening, allowing you to just cut out the left inside post flush to the ground.

Old 05-31-13, 03:46 AM
U
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi Chandler:

One person's trash is another person's treasure. LOL! I love the smell of honeysuckle, it reminds me of summers when I was a kid and care free.

Thanks for the advice. A couple of follow up questions. If the 45 inch gate is not standard, who would I go to to find out about a custom made gate?

The thought of digging up the cement surrounding the pole was daunting. So do you think I could cut the metal pole at its base with a reciprocating saw and a blade made to cut metal? You see any problem with that?

Thank you!

Old 05-31-13, 04:16 AM
Group Moderator
Received 145 Votes on 113 Posts
Any fencing company could make you a gate to size. It's also a DIY-able project.

Corner elbows:

YARDGARD Galvanized Gate Elbow-328623B at The Home Depot

Pipe for frame:

YARDGARD 10-1/2 ft. 17-Gauge Steel Top Rail for Chain-Link Fence-328913DPT at The Home Depot

The brackets and rods for the fabric edges you reuse. Also the hinges and latch. Only thing you would need would be a small quantity of chain link; rather than buying 50 feet, should be able to get a piece of leftover from a fence company.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: