Ballpark cost for Labour only

Old 06-15-13, 06:53 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ballpark cost for Labour only

Hello all,

I am putting up a 110 foot long fence along my property line. The posts have been already set and I am going to purchase all the wood for the fence itself.

I am getting a number of contractor quotes,just for the fencing but they vary so much, I am not sure who to believe.

I am looking for a very loose, ballpark figure, per foot or otherwise of what a contractor should charge to put up a 6 foot fence.

I have included some attachments...first my fence posts set in 4 foot sono-tubes, and the second image is the 'type' of fence i will be putting up.

The posts still have the bracing on them to maintain them straights whilst the cement takes hole...which will has now been removed

Since I am supplying all materials...i would be looking at time and labour cost only.

How many days do you think it would take and just the labour cost.

Thank you

Attached Images    
Old 06-15-13, 07:04 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
No one's going to be even guessing on what it's going to cost, guesses would do you 0 good any way.
Why not install it yourself and save the money?

Old 06-15-13, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator
Received 303 Votes on 240 Posts
You're best off to get a few estimates because pricing can be all over the board.

Probably expect to pay higher labor costs if you're supplying materials, if you can find someone willing to do the labor without the sales, that is. You might be better off with a handyman.

Old 06-15-13, 09:31 AM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
I was a handyman and I tended to back off if the customer said they had the materials. After a couple of bad experiences with the wrong materials and customers that wanted me to make do because they didn't want to buy the right materials I just said I was booked up for awhile.

Old 06-15-13, 01:08 PM
M
I suppose i should reverse engineer this question.

How much labour, or how much time do you think one would need to erect the fence in this scenerio.

2 days, 3 days etc? If I know roughly the hours it would take, then I can see what hourly rate they are giving me and make a decision based on that.

I have been told anywhere from 2 days (16 hours) to a week(?)

I am thinking that each 8 foot length should take 2 (hours more or less) and I have 14 spaces to fill, so I would be looking at 28 hours of labour...does this sound reasonable?

As far as the materials are concerned, I am asking the contractor what he needs and then purchasing the material from a reliable lumber yard, probably paying a bit more for the wood...but the quality is there.

Old 06-15-13, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 303 Votes on 240 Posts
As far as the materials are concerned, I am asking the contractor what he needs
sorry, but that's not how it works. He will not tell you.

Old 06-15-13, 01:35 PM
M
I think we are getting tangled up in semantics here with regards to 'contractor and handyman'.

I already know the footage of materials I need, each "handy man" has agreed these values are correct and each one has submitted a proposal for labour cost only.

Each 'handyman' has agreed that the materials purchased are of high quality.

so....

all I am looking for is a confirmation, or an estimation on the time it would take to place boards on these poles as outlined in my previous post(s).

Thank you.

Old 06-15-13, 01:50 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 672 Votes on 595 Posts
Labor time can vary a lot. Construction methods, skill level, etc all play a part in how long it takes. A skilled tradesman may charge [or make] more per hour than someone less skilled but might still be cheaper. IMO you'd be better off focusing on the contractors reputation and what his past jobs look like [and customer's opinion] The quality of the install is more important than what speed it was done at.

Old 06-16-13, 02:10 PM
W
Received 51 Votes on 46 Posts
Construction Methods

Will the construction be with nails or screws? Are the vertical boards already cut to the correct length?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: