Fence post frost protection

Old 06-22-13, 03:23 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fence post frost protection

Hello,

I have recently put in fence posts (15) and in the process of building a fence. I need a bit more protection from frost ...

I am thinking about using bark mulch as an overlay on the topsoil...will this work for extra frost protection?

Old 06-22-13, 04:17 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,565 Votes on 1,407 Posts
Mulch will slow the cold down by several hours but it won't prevent the ground from freezing for long. It will look nice though and help prevent weeds.

Old 06-22-13, 05:08 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Frost heaving upward is usually not a problem if it occurred about equally for all posts. If the all go up the same amount, there is no real perceptive apparent when it happens. They do not prevent frost from penetrating under highways, except for certain areas of roads in the permafrost and it is done there to prevent thawing of the frost from crossings that may melt and unusual soils.

Do not confuse frost heaving with that mythical "frost depth" for buildings. That is a suggested depth to prevent and structural damage of differential during the assumed 50+ year life of the structure.

One of the best insulators is a good heavy coating of snow.

Dick

Old 06-22-13, 08:43 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello,

Although I do not have much experience with installing fence work in the Canada region I would imagine your concern with frost would be more towards the concrete bases being forced upwards out of the ground. If that is the case prevention of the frost would have been taken in the installation and not after the installation process was completed. In that you would have needed drainage, for water to build under the bases of concrete. Using a stone base, Blue stone or some other type of stone, a couple of inches for the full diameter of the post hole. Something for the water in the ground to drain away from, something so that the water does not sit directly under the concrete bases and the actual temperature underground being cold enough to freeze the water, pushing the post , out, up and where-ever it wants to go.

Mulching looks nice, but it will do little for the depth of the post.

Now all this is just talk if you were speaking of the actual cement itself ... cure to freeze. If you are concerned about the cement freezing before curing, then the mulch or even straw would be a fine way of preventing freezing.... Over night that is. After 24 hours or so the pour should be cured enough to resist freezing further.

I do hope I covered that question as I was unsure of the direction it was going.

My input not much different than others and just another view of expression.

Best of luck ~

Last edited by Shadeladie; 09-03-14 at 08:26 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: