Tree fell on chain link fence

Old 06-26-13, 06:45 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Tree fell on chain link fence

Ok; the tree has been removed. I replaced a section of top rail. Here's the problem... The chain link mesh was crumpled down by the tree. It's intact, but comes up to knee level. The width of the crumpled area is about 3 feet. Isn't there a way to stretch it back up to the top rail or 'straighten' it? I sure hate to cut it out and replace it if I don't have to.
Thanks for any tips.
Old 06-26-13, 08:22 AM
Group Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 28,117
Received 1,560 Votes on 1,403 Posts
Yes, it can be straightened if you want to take the time to straighten out all the wires but that can be a real pain for anything more than a bent area. Easiest and quickest is usually to remove the damaged section and stitch in a replacement piece.
Old 06-26-13, 02:35 PM
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Union County NJ
Posts: 437
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
In regards to putting a new piece in vs straightening out....

if the wire is damage to the point where the wire mesh was buckled up or pinched or bent over for that was stretched to the point where your four foot high fence turned into a 3 foot high fence then I would suggest you do yourself a favor and replace the wire that is damaged. if you manage to replace some part of the fence already and you're doing it on your own for the most part the cost of replacing the wire and the way it's going to look when you're done is going to look a whole lot better than if you decide you want to waste your time trying to straighten out wire that is for lack of a better word; destroyed.
if all you're looking for is an opinion I would say replace the wire if you're looking to know whether or not it can be fixed to make it look like it was brand new my professional opinion is no.

Good luck ,

Last edited by Shadeladie; 09-03-14 at 08:27 AM.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: