Fence Post Spikes (easiest install possible).

Old 07-16-13, 05:59 AM
N
Received 20 Votes on 18 Posts
Fence Post Spikes (easiest install possible).

I am going to be helping out a co-worker fix up a number of issues with her home. One item on the list is to add a fence.

The fence will be on the cheap and easy to install while still leaving the ability to remove a section if required (during moving, etc). Will be a low picket fence arrangement, 4x4 posts.

I suggested using post spikes as they are probably the easiest to install, and with a ratchet, make removal and reinstall a breeze.
Here is what I'm talking about.

This past Saturday, I did some serious damage to my right knee/leg, and as a result, I'm now pretty useless physically (and maybe more so depending on what the hospital says) to help install this fence and spikes.

Any suggestions on how to make installing these spikes easy?
Had I not gone and hurt myself, I would have probably used a scrap 4x4 and a sludge hammer.

Old 07-16-13, 08:52 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Borrow a friend's car with adjustable ride height, place the spike, park the hitch over it, then lower down the ride height to push it into the ground?

This came to mind:

$80,000 can crusher - YouTube

Old 07-16-13, 03:58 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 672 Votes on 595 Posts
I know your kids are too young but what about nephews or neighbor kids?

Hope your leg mends soon!

Old 07-16-13, 04:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 595 Votes on 511 Posts
Sorry to hear about your leg.

I guess it would all depend on what you have available and how mobile you are with your injury. I would think you could still do the sledge hammer and 4x4 even if you had to do it from a sitting position.

If you want to do it from a standing position, (which might be easier) consider using a 4x4 in the spike with a hole drilled partly in the 4x4 with a forstner bit. Place a large washer in the hole. Insert a pipe (say 1-1 1/4") in the hole and use a hand post driver like this: YARDGARD Fence Post Driver-901147A at The Home Depot to drive the spike in. Many rental places will also rent them. Should only take a few wacks to drive it in.

If you have heavy clay or other hard soil, run a sprinkler in the area of where the fence will go. It will soften the ground up a lot. Unless you have gotten a bit of rain, then nature has provided for you.

I have more suggestions but they involve machinery or large tools.

Good luck!

Old 07-16-13, 05:16 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Unless this is a fence no more then about 3' high and wide openings between the pieces of wood, those type spikes are useless for a fence.
There barely going to hold up a mail box.

Old 07-17-13, 04:23 AM
N
Received 20 Votes on 18 Posts
I think I'll probably go at it with a sludge and a 4x4.
It's only a small yard from what I can remember so I shouldn't be looking at too many (2 dozen or so).

joecaption1;
We used those at my old house with ~3ft tall (~8-10ft long) prefab picket fencing (I say we, my dad and I helped as a kid). I don't think I was a teen yet when that fence was put in. I sold that house a year and change ago (actually bought it from my parents) with that same fence. Will admit, bolts where a bit tough to break loose, but it worked great ~20yrs after the fact.

These spikes are not meant to hold much weight (could hold my then 2yrs old with out issues). The fence is more for looks and more so to keep folks off the grass.
I would really not recommend these for privacy type fences, but for small ones, on the cheap and easy, it does the job.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: