Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Fences, Posts, Railings and Gates
Reload this Page >

How to extend 2 ft of vinyl fence on top of 6 ft cinder block wall.

Old 07-20-13, 09:43 AM

I need advise to do the following:
1) Extend 2 ft height of vinyl fence on top of 6ft cinder block wall (will be 8 ft tall when I complete it)
2) Don't like digging holes to set posts.
3) Where do I get the extension vinyl fence (2 ft height).

Went to a vinyl store, and the rep. will come out next week, but I have a feeling they will quote me something that I may not be able to afford.

Went to Home Depot, but their vinyl products just for the whole fence (5-6 ft tall). They don't have 2-3 ft height extension that I can use.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-13, 01:23 PM
Group Moderator
I have never seen height extensions and there is no standard. Each manufacturer makes their fence a bit differently so parts from one are often not interchangeable with another brand. If there is any hope it would be with the original manufacturer of your fence. Have you contacted them? Still, fences are usually installed to their desired height. Adding height after the fact is a pretty small and specialized market so it may actually be cheaper to replace it all.

Old 07-20-13, 02:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If I read you properly, you are just adding a vinyl extension on top of an existing CMU. I would buy component pieces, ie. bottom rail, top rail and newel posts and caps/bases. The vinyl panels can be cut to any height you want. Silicone and mechanically fasten the base to the top of the cmu, as well as your newel post bases. Install your newel posts and edge molding if necessary, then insert the vinyl panels to fit the openings between posts, cap the vinyl with a top rail, fastened to the Newel posts and cap the newel posts. No, it isn't simple, but doable.

Old 07-20-13, 02:46 PM
I don't want to cut the panels to size by myself as I cannot cut them straight

Yes, I want some privacy by extending 2 ft of vinyl fencing over my standard 6 ft cinder block fence.

I am not sure I can cut the panels straight. This is why I want some ready-made, or some companies who are willing to cut them for me.

Old 07-20-13, 02:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I know very little about cutting vinyl but to achieve a straight cut all you need to do is use a 'fence' as a guide. The fence can be something as simple as a 1x or 2x clamped on each side of the material being cut. You then hold the saw tight against the 'fence' to get your straight cut. I've done this a lot with both plywood and metal - probably need a different blade for vinyl

Old 07-20-13, 03:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
cutting vertically on vinyl, you may be able to just do as Marksr says, but just score it with a knife and snap it. Since your cut is vertical to the grain it will snap easily. I don't know of any fence company who will just cut the plastic and not install the job.