Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Fences, Posts, Railings and Gates
Reload this Page >

1x4 or 1x6 copperwood fence installed with steel posts

Old 07-24-13, 05:55 PM
T
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post

Hello!
A couple months ago I researched wood fencing and got estimates. I visited a fencing business to see a multi-year old comparison of cedar vs copperwood privacy fencing which were installed side-by-side with steel posts. Thought pickets(individual vert) were 1x6.
Yesterday I signed off to have work done. Estimator only gave me other addresses to see fencing yesterday. I noted contract was for 1x4 'pickets'. Note this does truly refer to 6' tall privacy fence not a picket fence.
Questions:
*Is there a difference in durability between 1x4 and 1x6 6' tall pickets (ie warping, twisting, etc)? Aesthetically, I prefer 1x6 but don't know if this is actually an option.
*I know that steel posts allow the fence to have more 'give' & that use of wooden posts allows for a more rigid fence. They drive the Steel posts 4' into the ground(I will dbl check this, otherwise 3' but believe the former). No concrete is used with the steel posts. Is this acceptable? I live in IL. If I'd chosen treated wooden posts, they'd use concrete. BTW, they don't use post caps on the wooden posts & other companies didn't either. The company I chose is well-respected in the area.
*My 15yo Menards picket fence is spaced 8' apart between wooden posts I set in concrete. I elected to continue the 8' length with new fence but would 6' spacing be better d/t use of steel posts already creating a less rigid fence? Is it possible to add a wooden post at corners and 1 in center of the (longest) 49' run or would this put different stresses on opposite side of fence panels and create problems? (panels are not pre-fab. Fence built on-site)
BTW: 21'x49'x12' footage + 2 gates. I asked that fence be level on the top and that fence pickets be 2" off the ground. I currently have brick placed ground-level below my old fence to lessen trimming. Rales are 2x4. Any advice would be much appreciated! Thank-you.

Old 07-26-13, 07:25 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It's usually the other way around, no concrete with wood posts. I would think the the frost line in IL is 4' & that's where the posts should be. 8' spacing should be fine but they may run into problems with the cement that's there. Did you tell them that you used cement?

Old 07-28-13, 04:12 PM
T
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Yes, they saw the cement. the companies I had out use cement for the posts. I did when I installed my old fence & that was the way to go. They do drive the steel posts 4' into the ground. No caps over the steel posts, though. Wanting more privacy, I elected 1x6"x6' pickets. Thanks for response.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: