Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Fences, Posts, Railings and Gates
Reload this Page >

Fencing Suggestion to Protect Outdoor Basement Steps ?

Old 07-29-13, 09:53 PM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have an outside entrance to my basement made of concrete steps. I'm looking for a way to protect the sides of this entrance to prevent anyone from falling over. It would be a steep drop and the sides of the entrance is only about 1' off the ground. I attached a picture.

I'm looking for some fencing ideas that I can put on either side of this entrance. It's close to the house, so I would prefer not to use wood, I was hoping to find a vinyl fence solution. Any suggestions?

Thank you

Attached Images  
Old 07-30-13, 04:10 AM
N
Received 20 Votes on 18 Posts
That would be a nasty fall.
The first thought I had when I saw the picture was, would a covering like an awning that extended down to a railing work (sorry, not very good at describing what I see in my head this morning).

Below is a quick google search image that is kind of what I had in mind. Maybe a little less chunky (rod iron or thin vinyl) with a railing like you would have on a front step. Just a thought, hard to see if it would work with your setup.

I'd probably consider a smaller awning similar to this one.

Old 08-01-13, 05:27 AM
Z
Thanks for the reply, that was actually my father's suggestion. I'm just not sure how it's going to look since the awning would be ground level. I was thinking a fence on each side would work or maybe even some kind of shrubs.

Old 08-01-13, 06:13 AM
N
Received 20 Votes on 18 Posts
Shrubs could work. I'd still consider a railing or something similar

Old 08-01-13, 06:50 AM
Z
I was actually hoping to do both ... Some kind of fencing/railing and maybe some shrubs in front. I'm having difficulty finding something suitable.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: