Shadowbox or Tongue & Groove

Old 01-17-14, 05:20 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Shadowbox or Tongue & Groove

I am looking to install a fence for privacy and sound reduction. I am looking at a Western Red Cedar Shadowbox (no gaps) or Prefab red cedar tongue & groove. Will one reduce sound better then that other or are they pretty much the same?

Old 01-17-14, 08:58 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I've not seen shadowbox fencing that didn't have gaps It has fence boards on both sides of the framework but the gaps are alternated. I'd be concerned that T&G would hold moisture at the joints shortening the life of both the stain and the wood.

Old 01-17-14, 02:51 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
With prefab panels you lose flexibility to adjust to the terrain. Your fence becomes stiff and has lots of mis-aligned panels. A no gap shadow box is also new to me, is it a double sided fence with a hollow core/void in the middle?

Unless you are building a fence 12 ft high out of concrete, I question how much sound proofing you will get out of it. I have 8 ft fence and back up to an apartment complex (was 12 acres of woods when I bought the place ) and I hear everything, although I can't see what is going on anymore. Main benefit is that my yard is no longer the main thoroughfare for teens drifting between neighborhoods.

Old 01-22-14, 07:24 AM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Board on board fencing is not completely private. In an angle, someone walking by can see into the yard being fenced in.

Any tongue and groove board fence is solid faced and more private compared to a board on board style of any kind.

2- Any fence with spaces between the boards is not as sound resistant as any other fence that is a solid barrier between sounds high and low.

Point blank.... If you are looking for sound barrier and privacy, a choice between one and the other, the solid tongue and groove wins both ways.

Good luck with your new fence of choice...

Last edited by Shadeladie; 09-02-14 at 12:18 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: