Fence Post spacing for 9ft distance?

Old 03-25-14, 08:05 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Fence Post spacing for 9ft distance?

Hi, I am planning to install a fence and understand if you have a long length your doing you want your distances to be under 8ft and each panel to be as consistent as possible in length....My question is I have just a 9 ft 2 inch distance to cover from the side of the front of my house to my property line where my neighbors fence is. In this situation what do you do? Do you divide this in 2 as 2 4.5ft sections or just accept this panel is greater than the 8 ft recommendation?

I am planning on using the post master metal fence posts for a 6' high fence.

Appreciate the help

Old 03-26-14, 03:56 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I'd think it would be ok to go the longer span but a lot probably depends on the type of fence being installed.

Old 03-26-14, 06:04 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Fence

If metal fence, go the entire distance. If a wood fence, make two sections 55 inches each.

Old 03-26-14, 06:26 AM
H
Received 296 Upvotes on 254 Posts
Originally Posted by cward0625
I have just a 9 ft 2 inch distance to cover from the side of the front of my house to my property line where my neighbors fence is.
I've seen quite a few people who fence IN their back yard, and fence OUT their landscaper.

I would make it a single 9'2" span AND make that section removable,
A 9' opening is just about right for later vehicle access, e.g. a landscaping truck delivering mulch.
If you make it a pair of 4'6" sections, I would hinge them as a gate.

Old 04-13-14, 10:45 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
great thanks for the help.

This side of the house won't have access for vehicles as I have an A/C unit and bushes on one side so there is very limited space. The other side I am looking to do an 8ft opening with two 4ft gates. Sounds like your advising I increase this to a 9ft opening.

Old 04-13-14, 11:19 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
A lot depends on what you expect to drive thru the gate. For comparison, most single garage door opening are 9' wide, 8' works but you have to be a little more careful. Larger vehicles and/or trailers benefit from the extra width.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: